Pre-op diet....mini wow :)

dranoa
on 7/26/11 12:49 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
 Initially, when i started the 2 week pre-op liquid diet, I was not a happy camper. The loss of my tasty grilled meats and avacado/mozzerella/tomato salads brought a couple of frustrated tears to my eyes.  A week later, after many protein shakes and numerous broths, I had my first mini-wow that truly makes me smile and have great hope for my future. I thought it would be good to share, to let other pre-ops know there truly is silver lining to this pre-op liquid diet I hadn't anticipated. 

A little background, my husband and 2 cats are the permenant residents at my home. This past month, my house has been pleasantly invaded by my sister and her two daughters (6/8 years old) for the whole month of July whilst they're visiting from Belgium. Life has been so busy, going to the lake to keep cool and escape this 115 degree heat wave, going to museums to expose the kids to culture, chasing the kids around the parks and LOTS of shopping at the mall. Who knew having the family over would be the kick in the pants i needed to get off the couch and get moving. 

Then the liquid diet started, and i cannot lie. The first two days was tough. I was still cooking for my full house, so the smells of grilled porterhouse steak and ribeyes were making salvate profusely. (An added marinade to their steaks >:)~  I jumped on the asian broth soup wagon, and found that I could entertain my palate with some tastey flavors that sate my need for savory. Mushroom, spinach and egg drop broth soups. And then, the liquid diet was much more manageble to me. Two weeks didn't seem so long any more. 

Today, I was running late to work, and i grabbed a pair of work pants i typically have to breath in deeply to button up. The type of pants that by the end of the day, there's a ring around your belly that's a pink welt just waiting for breath of fresh air. Today, the pants slipped right on, and i'm sitting at my desk now without any desire to open the top button. How bizarre! 

I was at the hospital for my pre-admission testing, and when they weighed me i was 9 lbs less than I was 2 weeks ago when I was visiting Dr. Greenbaum. I just assumed the scale was off, because i certainly didn't feel as though i was losing weight. And i never get on a scale. Depending on my regularity and the time of day, i know my weight fluxuates and I have long since abandoned the obsession with the number that represents my weight. 

But man was it nice to wear my old favorite work pants without having to suck it all in and suffer at the end of the day. Yay to the clothing barameter of weight loss. Now i'm super excited for my surgery next Monday. I cannot wait to see the pounds just melt away and get lost in the fabric of my clothing!! 

Alex :) 
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 3:14 am - OH
 "The type of pants that by the end of the day, there's a ring around your belly that's a pink welt just waiting for breath of fresh air."

Omg..I about peed my pants when I read that!!!! I totally have that ring...just never thought of it like that.  Too funny!

Congrats on your mini-victory by the way :)
litebrite
on 7/26/11 9:21 am - Telford, PA
Start mine soon, glad to here it will pay off!!
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 1:35 pm - Beverly, NJ

Congrats! It feels so good doesnt it!

Crap I ment to grab you before your pre admin testing, the girl who does your labs (Leann) is a good friend of mine that I grew up with.  She is an absolute sweetheart.  It's fine to let her know you know me.  

I can't wait!  It's almost time for you!

dranoa
on 7/26/11 2:45 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
It does feel good, and things are just getting started! 

I do not believe i had the pleasure of meeting your friend. Perhaps I shall have the opportunity next week. The nurses were all very sweet, and it put me at ease to see how very thorough Lourdes Hospital is with the pre-admission process and preparations they have us take care to do prior to surgery. My husband has had many surgeries in his past, and had never been through such a thorough pre-surgical preparation process. 

I am glad to have opted to use Dr. Greenbaum for my surgeon. And am excited for Monday's procedure. (though utterly nervous as well) 

Having the family over this past weekend, we thought it best to review the living will. It was more difficult to discuss than I had realized but I think this is something that should have been done a long time ago and am glad to have my wishes clearly communicated. Not that they'll be needing to put it into practice. 

Thank you for all your advice and guidance! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 418 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 858 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 276 views