Went in for DS 2/23 and came out with sleeve

grisaille
on 2/26/12 11:36 pm - NC
Guess I'll have to switch (hah) forums as I planned and got approval for DS. . . . I had had some earlier intestinal hernia surgery and evidentally there was a mess in there and the DS ccould not be done safely   so when I woke up from under anesthesia I had the sleeve (VSG) . . . so I guess I'll have to see what is going on over on the VSG surgical forum . . .

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
SukieSookie
on 2/27/12 12:11 am
 Wow I'm sorry about the complications and that you had to go through that. I hope you can really work that sleeve and achieve all your goals! Best wishes and prayers. 

larra
on 2/27/12 12:33 am - bay area, CA
So sorry!

Does your surgeon think he could go back in at some future date and complete the DS for you? Or is it just too much of a mess for that ever to happen.

Larra
grisaille
on 2/27/12 3:31 am - NC
It might be possible for Dr Sudan to do part two of the DS - insurance would be iffy though.  I'm not sure what insurance will think of THIS last surgery as I wasn't approved for a strictly restrictive surgery - only if it had a malapsorbtive component like RNY or DS.  But when I';ve lost over a hundred pounds this issue can be revisited as there might room to do the switch but he hopes I can make it with just the sleeve

Carol
larra
on 2/27/12 5:36 am - bay area, CA
Regarding insurance, I would continue to present this as a DS, just a DS that has to be done in 2 stages for medical reasons that are beyond your control. You did not get approval for a DS and then sneak off and have something else intentionally, and when you get the second part, it isn't really a second wls, it's the completion of the first operation.

Larra
travis1985
on 2/27/12 11:12 pm - TX
On February 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM Pacific Time, larra wrote:
Regarding insurance, I would continue to present this as a DS, just a DS that has to be done in 2 stages for medical reasons that are beyond your control. You did not get approval for a DS and then sneak off and have something else intentionally, and when you get the second part, it isn't really a second wls, it's the completion of the first operation.

Larra
I was successful in forcing AETNA to cover the 2nd stage of my DS, using Larra's logic above.  If I can help you with wording or anything, just let me know.

T
neacres100
on 2/27/12 12:49 am - NJ
I know exactly how you feel.  Been there, done that.  When I was told that news in the recovery room, as groggy as I was, I cried.

Does your surgeon believe that a DS can be done for you at a future date after you heal up?  Or was the adhesions inside just too much for the DS to be done at all?

On the bright side, the sleeve works well, and you will loose weight.   If you plan on going for the DS, if it's possible, keep in mind, some insurances and some surgeons require a certain amount of weight that needs to be lost, ie:  100 pounds or more and/or to have additional comorbidities such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea etc.... before they will approve the DS.  Kind of like a catch 22 scenario.

Best wishes to you and your health.

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
grisaille
on 2/27/12 3:34 am - NC
. . . . I gather I was pretty upset in recovery room but I don't remember that.  So you woke up with what?  And then, did you get the DS?

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
Diane Davis
on 2/27/12 4:47 am
I'm so sorry.  I think that is a concern we all have when we go in for our surgeries!  That was one of my biggest fears was to wake up and be told I didn't receive a full DS.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Not yo business OH
on 2/27/12 9:01 am
I'm sorry you didn't get what you paid for - lol. No, I am sorry, but had to say that. Sounds like Dr. Sudan was your surgeon. Is that correct. If so, I have the highest respect for him. If he didn't do the entire DS, he was concerned for your health and the additional risks of performing it. He is a very good surgeon and the only thing I would do different is that I would not have had any complications while he was out of town. "Like that was anyone's choice!" Hang in there. I wish you the best of outcomes.

Ht: 5'7"  HW/247ish   SW/234    CW/141-145  (Over 100 pounds lost in 8 months!)    
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 733 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1033 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 346 views