Super emotional, is this normal?

AundreaSmith
on 3/1/12 11:45 pm - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
I am currently on Day 6 of my pre-op diet that consists of only 800-900 calories per day.  My DS is scheduled for Monday, 3/12/12.  While I am anxious for the surgery, I have been very diligent about the pre-op diet.   So no cheating, drinking lots of water, taking my vitamins and documenting EVERYTHING going in my mouth.

However, I am feeling very emotional.  I start crying over ANYTHING.  Is this normal?  Is it fear?  Is it the diet?  I am a bit confused with how I am feeling.  I've been really short with my Husband, but it's up and down, one minute I am happy and the next *****y.  Maybe it's just anxiety over this life changing surgery or my body's way of handling a drastic change in diet.

Did anyone else feel this way about 10 days prior to surgery??

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

* Nicole *
on 3/2/12 12:36 am
Your in the 2 week freak stage. Many people get it.

You'll be fine and it is pretty normal.

And Congrats on ur fast approaching date!

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

AundreaSmith
on 3/2/12 1:01 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Sheesh!  And I am sitting her trying to be all Zen about this.  I will take a deep breath and try to chill. 

Thanks!! 

Sandra C.
on 3/2/12 1:31 am - Kalamazoo, MI

Pre surgery jitters, and weight loss with the diet product can do it to you. Walk fast, exercise and get your fluids. Journaling is great, add your moods, and take vitamins. Keep up the journal post surgery it helps to see how to plan the days timing of protein, fluids and carbs, to get it all in. I am still journaling at 6 months out. My doctors like to check up on my diet progress, I take it to all appointments. I like to enter my weight, check back to see how much progress I have made.

Post surgery will bring these same rollercoaster emotions too, be prepared. Anesthesia and pain meds leaving your system will be the cause. This is major surgery, take a deep breath and relax, all will get back to normal in a few weeks. Walking, and fluids help emensly to flush the toxins out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Lisa A.
on 3/2/12 5:32 am - Windsor, NY
I'm glad you said that about post surgery because that is exactly how I was. I just didn't feel like my self. It wasn't the pain because I tolerate pain very well and got off the pain meds right after I got out of the hospital because I don't like that fuzzy feeling.

I was very sick also but my doctor did say that my hormones were totally out of whack from losing the weight so rapidly. I wish I knew all this ahead of time and that people do feel like this after surgery. It took some time but I did get back to normal or my new normal.

Sandra C.
on 3/2/12 5:43 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I hate the "fuzzy head feeling "too. Just before surgery I was diagnosed with ADHD. One of my symptoms was" brain fog". Adderall really helped me out of the foggy feeling, changed my life with planning, organization, focus and appetite suppressant. My exercise time at the gym is going great with my focus on getting the job done, rather than being distracted. 

I wonder if anyone else taking Adderall with D.S. has noticed their pills are less effective with malabsorbtion? My psyc has added Wellbutrin, because off label it helps Adderall. Just started it a week ago, has'nt kicked in yet.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

lk1970
on 3/4/12 8:23 pm
Completely normal! Yes you are in the 2 week freak! As much as you want to be Zen... this is a big step and it's okay to be nervous.. Please let me know if you need anything.
On another note... not sure if this'll help... another DS'er told me pre-op- Some people make the DS harder than it needs to be. I really took that to heart and lived it post op! It was my job to get my water and protein in and eventually all my vites as well... The DS is amazing, can't wait for you to join us!!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

AundreaSmith
on 3/5/12 11:18 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Thanks, I really appreciate it.  I met with the PA today for my pre-surgical consult and labs.  I am pretty sure that this surgery will feel a lot like my gallbladder removal in the sense of the abdominal tenderness and what not. 

I am not finding the diet difficult, yeah, I crave foods...just not bad ones.  I thought milk would be the hard one for me to give up, but it hasn't been difficult.

What was disappointing was only losing 5lbs with my first week of the pre-op diet, I almost burst into tears at the office today.  I think my metabolism is dead...

wildewoman
on 3/5/12 9:30 pm
Don't feel bad about that 5 lbs... I was pretty sure my metabolism was working in reverse before surgery. If that's the case with you, you are definitely in the right place. This surgery will reset your metabolism. I liken mine to that of a crack ***** now - without the crack, of course!.

~Martie~
"And pride - don't keep it all inside.  Don't keep your aching celebrating, wonder-making heart alone.  Write your own song!"

HW 360 / SW 347 / CW 198 / GW 180    Angel to Relifeagain (Marz)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 923 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1144 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 401 views