Anyone here have VSG and then the DS to finish losing weight?

RosieScorp
on 3/14/12 7:11 am
I had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy in 2008.  I had 20 more lbs to lose to be at goal and I never got there.  Then I gained 30 lbs back.  So I have 50 lbs to lose to be at goal.  I can't seem to get on track.  Anyone had the VSG and then you went back to have the DS to finish losing weight?  Pros? Cons?  Just needing some BTDT opinions....

Thanks, Kay
MajorMom
on 3/14/12 8:58 am - VA
I think are a few folks on our facebook group and the other board. I'll send you a link or 2 via PM.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 3/15/12 1:52 am, edited 3/15/12 1:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
There's definite synergy with the two combined that I've seen that yields better results than having it done in two surgeries. My concern is that with only 50lbs to lose, you may have a challenge finding a doc to finish your DS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Teetster
on 3/17/12 8:45 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Kay,

I am a VSG to DS'r. I had VSG in 2007 and never made it to goal either. I had more to lose though than you when I had my DS done in August of 2011. I had about 100 pounds at least to go still. I have now lost exactly 100 pounds since my VSG to DS revision, and am shooting for 20 more pounds off to be in a normal BMI range. I should have had the DS to begin with, just really thought I could make the VSG work for me, but in the end it just wasn't enough. I tried so hard to lose the weight, worked out 6 days a week and ate super low carb but just could not get any more weight off.

I thought long and hard before I made my decision to have the DS. It is a serious surgery with lifetime aftercare needs as far as supplements, lab work, etc. I decided to go for the DS when I realized that as hard as I was working out, eating right, etc I was still the biggest person in my aerobics classes. Nothing I did was working. My wonderful OBGYN finally told me that there was nothing else I could do; I needed more medical intervention. I decided to go forward with the DS.

I am extremely happy with my decision. I am still doing everything I was doing before my DS (as far as food and exercise go) but now it is actually working! I do have to use a protein supplement,but other than that I eat exactly the same as I did before. I took vitamins with my VSG, and that has increased significantly with the DS.

I will tell you that I had some pretty bad, unusual, and rare complications with my VSG to DS surgery. I had terrible adhesions from my VSG and other prior abdominal surgery, and this caused my pancreas to become fused to my stomach and intestines. I had no idea of this, and neither did my surgeon until he went in to do the surgery. He had to separate my pancreas from my other organs, and in doing so, my pancreas started to die, and infected the rest of my body. I was horribly sick, and in the hospital for a long time. I could not return to wor****il almost 6 months after my surgery.

Would I do it all over again? Yes, as long as I knew that in the end I would be OK. I came close to losing my life for my DS, but I'm happy to say that I now know the DS is saving my life. There's not tons of info out there on how a VSG to DS revision will turn out, as far as weight loss etc. I try to share my story with anyohe who needs to know, because I really had nothing to go on to make my decision. My surgeon wasn't even sure how well it would work, he estimated about a 20% weight loss for me as I had already had the VSG and lost some weight .I am now at 88% of my excess weight lost. It can definitely work, but I do have to work at it. I am not one of the lucky ones who can eat whatever they want and still lose weight.

BTW, many people want to know if I was resleeved. No, the doc decided my sleeve was already much smaller than he makes his DS sleeves and did not want to take the risk of my stomach rupturing or ulcerating as it is stretched so thin when they resleeve. I worried that I needed it resleeved for weight loss, but so far I am OK. I don't think it could be any smaller and still be able to eat the amount of protein I need.

Best of wishes in whichever decision you make regarding your VSG or VSG to DS. Please PM me if I can answer any other questions for you
RosieScorp
on 3/19/12 6:40 am
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond to my post.  I am going to talk with my surgeon about DS when I see him next month.  I am seriously trying to get back on track, but I have seen so many people do wonderful with the sleeve and then I have seen several of us not do so well.  I will keep y'all posted and I may have more questions before I make a decision.  Thanks again..
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views