Miracles/An update from a wayward OH member

lookingup2
on 3/27/12 2:48 am - Sharpsburg, GA
I have not been here is a very long time.  I have really missed you guys!  I just thought I would share a little about me which will hopefully encourage some who are trying to decide if they will have the surgery.

My highest weight was 340.  On the day (Oct. 28, 2008) of surgery I was 315.  For the past two years I have stayed between 150 and 160 and I am a solid size 10.  The first year after surgery I was nauseated and vomiting all the time.  My weight loss was rapid.  Almost exactly one year after surgery, exploratory surgery revealed my stomach and liver had fused because of scar tissue.  Dr. Smith fixed me and ever since, I have eaten any and every thing plus I have maintained my weight.

Before surgery I walked with a cane and sometimes used a wheel chair.  I was retired and did basically nothing except take a lot of naps. 

The bigest miracle of all........Because of a number of people God put in my pathway, in 2010 I started the process of adopting a 13 year old girl from Latvia (a small country which was part of the former Soviet Union).  I have never been married and never had children.  I have had a lot of bitterness over never having children.  On July 28, 2011 the adoption was final and I became a first time mom at the age of 62.  My precious Sabina has lived with me since Christmas day, 2010.  She turns 15 next month.  It is the hardest and most wonderful time of my life!

More to the miracle....I could never have done this physically or mentally when I weighed 300+ lbs.  Furthermore, I would never have passed the physical to qualify for the adoption!  I had to make three round trips to Latvia.  Every time I fastened the seatbelt I thought about the days when I had to have an extender!  Every trip I thanked God for putting the person in my pathway who told me about a doudenal switch (I was not a canidate for other weight loss surgeries because of prior stomach surgery).  I would never have been able to keep up with a teen!  Now we jump on the trampoline, go rafting, take walks, go to the dog park, and more.  I was so depressed before surgery I would never have been able to focus the needed attention on her.  Now I am a homeschool mom!

I want everyone who will stand still to listen to me know that God made all this change in my life possible and He started with doudenal switch surgery in 2008!

calendargirl
on 3/27/12 5:25 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12
 Good for you, lookingup2!  Major miracles!

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

divakay2
on 3/27/12 6:00 am
May God continue to Bless you so you can continue being a Blessing to other's .Keep enjoying life.........................Kenya
Fade2Pink
on 3/27/12 6:02 am - Salt Lake City, UT
That is truly amazing, congrats on your weight loss and especially your new daughter!
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

ajrober2
on 3/27/12 7:43 am - Houston, TX
DS on 11/01/12
Congratulations!!!  Me next!!!! 

I am certainly depending on God to work some things out for me to have the surgery soon.  I will keep the faith and do my part.
Chicarita
on 3/27/12 9:10 am
So inspiring, thank you so much for sharing your journey.

Congratulations on being a Mom, that's great!
Scooter725
on 3/27/12 10:18 am - Elko, MN
VSG on 02/15/13
 Praise the Lord!  I am so happy you were able to give a teenager a permament home! That my friend does not happen often!

"Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you choose, but you can only spend it once."~ Lillian Dickson

I'm on my weigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!          Join us on the Lightweights Board  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 624 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 984 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 334 views