ds or....

mabiedusty
on 5/30/12 12:07 pm - IN
please tell me why a ds instead of rny? im trying to decide whats best for me....any input would be appreciated. thank you

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/30/12 12:20 pm
 I can only speak for me but I want the DS (still Pre-op) because:

1. I wanted a fully functioning stomach and intact pyloric valve.
2. I didn't want a blind pouch that couldn't be scoped.
3. I wanted to be able to NSAID's like Advil if needed.
4. I'd read a lot about regain 3-4 years post-op of gastric bypasses due not to patient noncompliance but due to spikes in insulin production causing cravings.
5. I wanted to be able to eat a variety of foods without dumping syndrome.
6. I didn't want a foreign object in my stomach, like a band.
7. I wanted a surgery with the least chance of regain.
8. The surgical risks were nearly identical to the RNY.
9. Research showed that bathrooms habits were similar to RNY patients, despite myths to the contrary.

Just my 2 cents!

BUT, I also don't think the DS I right for everyone. It requires many more follow-up bone density scans, blood tests, doctor's appointments, and supplements than the RNY. It's more expensive to maintain long-term. You must be committed or the malabsorption that reduces your weight and comorbities, will be the same thing that causes you harm! 

Best of luck deciding. I read this entire forum, the RNY and lap forums, DS facts site, and googled every DS research article and video I could find to get answers. 

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

larra
on 5/30/12 1:23 pm - bay area, CA
You have already been given some great reasons!

I chose the DS because it has the highest percentage of excess weight loss of any bariatric surgery, the best maintainence of that weight loss, and the best resolution of almost all comorbidities. While some people are successful with RNY, there is a high incidence of weight regain, and also of inadequate weight loss. Obviously some of this is due to lack of compliance, but much of it isn't. And compliance isn't easy, as you would need to follow a low calorie, low carb, low fat diet for the rest of your life.
      With the DS we can eat much more freely because of the malabsorption, though we do have to be careful about carbs. No dumping. No food getting stuck. We can take NSAIDs. We can drink liquids with our meals. No blind stomach to worry about.

Keep doing your research. You can find lots of good info about the DS at dsfacts.com. There is also a list of vetted DS surgeons there - pick your operation first, THEN pick your surgeon.

Larra
Sandra C.
on 5/30/12 3:00 pm, edited 6/1/12 12:43 am - Kalamazoo, MI
1.The D.S is the premier WLS for reaching your goal, and keeping it off long term.

2.The food choices are endless, most like a normal diet, heavy on protein, fats are ok, fruit, veggies, all kinds of meat, sugar in moderation, carbs ok with limits. Most like the Atkins diet.

3. Intact pylorus for digestion, with your own stomach, made smaller to restrict portions.

4. Ghrelin is removed along with the section of stomach, perminently, curbing hunger. 

5. Quick weightloss, life altering enrichment being able to do so many things with extreme WL. and comorbidities resolved.

6. Comorbidities eliminated, diabetes, arthritic relief,  sleep apnea and endless more. Nsaids ok, 

7. Life change, not a  restriction diet. Adding more protein increases weight loss. When have you ever been told to eat more on a diet?

8. Ability to exercise for improved longevity ,health and toning.

9. No dumping- eat normal restaurant foods without worrying about dumping, and embarasment when dining with others.

10. Choose your own foods- bacon, pork, beef, chicken, fish, fruit, fiberous veggies, dairy, 

11. Strength to run marathons with muscle building high protein meals.

12. Vitamins and supplements for health, monitored by doctors  labs. This is a big plus as we age, everyone should keep up on monitored vitamins and doctors visits. The amount of vitamins are directly related to personal needs determined by your labs. Mine are spot on with a minimal dose of typical WLS vitamins, calcium, and iron. The more healthy the  food choices, the less vitamins necessary.

13. D.S. support groups, have more members  and activity on line than any other WLS  group.

14. Vetted D.S. surgeons are highly trained for this difficult procedure, years of training, with specialized focus on specific D.S. requirements. See  D.S. vets list on OH." Center of Excellence" monitored  for quality assurance.

15, No fills as with Band, nor internal, or external appliances.

16. Eat foods of your choice any time, any amount of protein, you never need to go hungry on a diet again. 

17. Great for high BMI's  and light weight BMI's

18. Highest chance of reaching goal and least chance of regain longterm. ( my favorite reason)

19.  99.9 % of D.S.ers are thrilled with their results short and long term, not requiring revisions, and would do it again. I know I would.  ;-)

20. Bathroom habits controlled with food choices, everyone is different. Probotics and high protein great for normalizing effects. Sugar and carbs usually are troublesome w/gas. Most misinterpreted category by those directing you to other WLS options.

21. DSFACTS.com......Do your research 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

PattyL
on 5/31/12 9:39 am
 The only surgery that gives you a decent shot at losing all the weight and keeping it off long term is the DS.  Especially if your BMI is 50 and you want to have a pretty normal postop life.

Keep on reading and learning.
MsBatt
on 6/3/12 9:28 am
For me, it was all about post-op lifestyle. I saw the RNY as limiting my food choices, my medication choices, and potentially making eating unpleasant. On the other hand, I saw the DS as giving me greater freedom of choice.

I will always NEED NSAIDs. I've had severe arthitis since age 20. Losing weight has made me more mobile, but it hasn't really eased the pain from damaged joints. The RNY would have forced me to give up NSAIDs, the DS didn't.

And I really enjoy eating---especially things like well-marbled meats, cheeses, nuts, butter, cream---you know, high-fat foods. With the DS, those are the kinds of food that I NEED to be eating.

For dinner tonight we're having bacon-wrapped shrimp, wild rice, steamed broccoli (slathered with real butter!) and home-made ice cream, made with Splenda and heavy cream.

Deborah W.
on 6/6/12 1:11 am - Arlington, TX
 Bottom line it works! Regain is rare and long term quality of life is better.  The quality and the taste of the food a benefit, full fat anything tastes better and no dumping.