what about aspartame?

starry957
on 6/20/12 10:32 am
Hi DS people....I have had no surgery yet....lol...but have a question or two..
I notice most people only have sugar-free food/drinks...and, of course, I understand that reasoning as far as calories, etc.  I guess I just wonder if anyone has concerns about having aspartame so much - is it possible to have some items in their "regular" form (with sugar/fat/etc)....or is this totally taboo?
Also...what happens when you do consume sugar/fats?.....all the details would be great!

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

merrymorris
on 6/20/12 11:37 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
I don't have aspartame. I do other sugar free sweetners. Truvia, splenda. Agave ( though it is high in carbs)I think the thing about sugar is that we absorb 100%. It can keep you from losing weight and spike your blood sugar. It can also be a trigger for for a lot of people and cause you to go crazy with it or carbs. I know people who only use sugar but for me it is a really slippery slope. A lot of people get really bad gas with carbs and sugar. I don't have the physical issues but I can't stop once I start. When you are out of the losing weight phase some people are fine with sugar but most people agree that it is a bad idea while you are trying to lose. Fats are fine for most of us. We need more fat because we don't absorb much of it. Also, because all of the vitamins we have to take a lot of us get constipated. However, you may get "oil slicks" (just oil coming out in the toilet) if you have too much.
Auntie_Annie
on 6/20/12 1:29 pm - PA
DS on 08/20/12
I was wondering the same thing.  I am pre op, but I currently use Truvia as sweetener for my coffee/tea.  I actually like it better than sugar!  So, Truvia/Stevia is ok post op?
"Switched" 8/20/12
HW: 419
SW: 403
CW: 359
MajorMom
on 6/20/12 7:10 pm - VA
I try to use Truvia and Splenda only, but you're right, with all the SF we eat it's hard and you have to read the labels carefully. :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

merrymorris
on 6/20/12 11:18 pm - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Yes indeedy! They are great post op. Actually, some studies show that truvia/stevia are best for you. I prefer truvia. Less of an after taste.
Valerie G.
on 6/21/12 1:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I mix it up.  I have to have my diet coke, and I've tried coke zero and it doesn't taste right.  That's my only aspartame.  I love splenda otherwise, or just plain sugar if it's in small amounts.  If I eat too much, I get gas.  If I eat a little - no problem. 

Fats - I enjoy as much as I possibly can.  I do NOT steer away from them at all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

starry957
on 6/21/12 2:06 am
thanks so much ladies - I guess I was just getting the impression all over the forums, that no one was eating or drinking anything "full" fat or sugar...which I was a bit skeptical about...

Auntie_Annie
on 6/21/12 4:45 am - PA
DS on 08/20/12
Everything I have read on the DS forums is that people eat full fat mayo, cheese, milk, etc.  Correct me if I'm wrong...
"Switched" 8/20/12
HW: 419
SW: 403
CW: 359
starry957
on 6/21/12 8:13 am
well, that's good - in my opinion....maybe it's the RNY peoples that don't want to have that stuff, I dunno...lol

Valerie G.
on 6/22/12 2:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 RNYers can dump on fat and sugar.  DSers malabsorb 80% of the fat we eat, so trust me, it's SO a non-issue.  Sugar isn't malabsorbed, so we need to be mindful of how much we consume, and some do get gas from it and flours.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 798 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1076 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 353 views