Nutrition appt then waiting for approval... Fear setting in

myahsmommy
on 10/6/12 11:59 pm - OH
DS on 12/18/12
I've got the referral, had my first appt with the surgeon, decided to do the DS, passed the psych eval, tomorrow is my nutritional appt.  Now I'm afraid....  Will the diets I've tried be enough, what documentation do I need for the last 12 months (only tried on my own mostly), will there be a 3 or 6 month diet required, how long will it take to get a decision from the insurance company.  What if they deny it?? The policy doesn't state a required 3 or 6 month diet, so I can't even wait with confidence... I've met all the deductables for this year, so having to wait will set us back more than I want it to, so more waiting probably...  Thanks for listening!
TaliTali
on 10/7/12 12:41 pm - Sammamish, WA
 You should know all of this from your insurance company. It has nothing to do with the surgeon (whom the NUT works with (usually)).

You need to speak with your insurance and get this straight to ease your mind. What you read and what they believe are often two different things. ;)

As for the NUT .. those are a piece of cake. They usually just want to insure that you know what carbs are, what fat is, and how if you eat too many of one thing you can have problems. They want to make sure you know you'll need to be on supplements for life and so on. It's usually pretty painless. Most of us lifelong diets know more than they do--those of us who hang out on these forums know even more than they do. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it--especially wh en they tell you about the low-fat diet you'll be expected to "live on" post-op. :)

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

myahsmommy
on 10/8/12 11:04 pm - OH
DS on 12/18/12
Now just waiting on the insurance company.  Anyone know how long that may take?? :)
puppysweets1
on 10/9/12 1:51 am - CA
Its not always easy dealing with insurance companies.  Mine won't say if something is covered until a bill with codes has been submitted.  Or a predetermination can be requested and that takes 4 weeks.   Hope you get an answer soon to take advantage of having already met your deductible.  Good luck.

RNY to DS  210 lbs gone for 5 years.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 683 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views