Switched in 4 days!

Jessie92382
on 1/5/13 12:05 am - North Lawrence, NY
DS on 01/09/13

I can't believe how fast time is flying, surgery is Wednesday! This past week I had finally got to meet my lovely surgeon Dr. Hill in Saranac Lake, NY. Also had my pre-op class...as much as I was nervous before these two appointments have put me at ease...the nerves now are mostly because I've simply never had surgery. I've lost another 11lbs for a total of 39 so far...kinda surprising myself because I absolutely dread stepping on those scales every time! Today is day 6 of 9 for my Pre-op diet and to be honest I thought I would be DYING of hunger and thought I would be weak from not having any substance in my belly...but it's actually been mostly a breeze!!

Some things that I am a little confused about  -

I've been reading that diet will be high protein/fat - low carb, no biggie I am an Atkin's vetarin , however in the pre-op class they stated that fat was not good on us DS-ers as it will go right through us??

Sugar free mints - I have read aren't good on the system because of the possible laxative effect, yet in pre-op was told they would be our best friends.

I'm sure it's all going to be trial and error and different for everyone, those are the two things that stick out in my mind right now as far as confusion goes.

Have a great day!!!

JESS

MajorMom
on 1/5/13 12:13 am - VA

Fat at the very early stages may be an issue, but as you heal and get further out, fat will become your friend. The medical community doesn't get this and many are still going off of the old info from the horizontal cut BPD surgery. Several of us DSrs have told our dietitians this and they say that's not what they were taught and had no idea we could be just fine with more fat in our diets. I don't over do it on fat, I just don't avoid it. Hang in there!

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 1/5/13 2:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

What Mom said...don't go out of your way to avoid fat, meaning don't get anything manufactured to be "low fat".  Enjoy it in its most natural form, in meats and cheeses.  A SF hard candy here and there probably won't be a problem, but if you were to enjoy half a bag, you may find yourself bloated and running to the toilet.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

6penningtons
on 1/5/13 5:54 am - MO
DS on 12/12/12

I'm less than a month out, and have found that not much of what I was prepared to eat or not eat has actually happened.  My new tummy is so finicky that my tastes seem to change by the day.  I know it will get better and more regular, but I would just suggest that you learn to listen to your body, and eat what you can...especially as first.  Good luck! 

Age: 34; Ht: 5'2; High Wt: 190; Goal Wt: 120; DS by Dr. Lopez 12/12/12

Jessie92382
on 1/5/13 1:04 pm - North Lawrence, NY
DS on 01/09/13

Thank you all for the feedback!!kiss

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 376 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 826 views
Need help for my mom