don't lift more than 30 lbs?

jashley
on 1/25/13 10:01 pm
DS on 12/19/12

This is what my surgery manual stated.  I am gathering from various posts that lifting weights, groceries, firewood, etc can cause a hernia.

At what point can I lift a case of canned tomatoes?  I'm not talking weight lifting right now.  Just bringing in the groceries, a Costco run (you know, with cases of canned stuff and protein drinks, half a cow in styrofoam meat trays).  Bringing in fire wood. 

When my sister was here taking care of me, she would not let me lift anything.  Now I'm by myself and I amazed at how many things need to be hoisted in life.  I certainly don't want a hernia.

MajorMom
on 1/25/13 10:10 pm - VA

I think the rule of thumb is 6 - 8 weeks. Be careful.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

southernlady5464
on 1/25/13 10:23 pm

About 6-8 weeks

At what point can I lift a case of canned tomatoes?  Break it down and make multiple trips

Just bringing in the groceries, a Costco run (you know, with cases of canned stuff and protein drinks, half a cow in styrofoam meat trays).  Buy smaller right now and hold off the large stuff or break it down before bringing it in.

Bringing in fire wood. Bring in a piece or two at a time.

The time will pass quickly enough.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MsBatt
on 1/26/13 12:54 am

30 pounds??? I was told TEN, for 8 weeks!

Valerie G.
on 1/26/13 1:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My limit was 8 lbs for 8 weeks, but I don't think your doc is being too unreasonable here.  I pulled a hernia 1.5 years post op lifting a soaking wet bag of topsoil.  Today I'm much more mindful of how much I lift and how I lift it.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

southernlady5464
on 1/26/13 1:32 am

I was on a 5 lb limit the first month, then they raised mine to 10 for the next 4 weeks.

During my first four weeks, I could not even lift my laptop as it exceeds 6 lbs!

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

clutterbunny
on 1/26/13 7:20 am - CA
3 months out, lifted a 20 pound suitcase-like thing. Hernia. Be careful.

J G.
on 1/26/13 2:32 pm

Anyone who has had a hernia (that would be moi)  will tell you to really extend any guidelines you are given.  Having to get another surgery just ain't worth it.  My hernia  surgery was way more painful than my DS and the recovery was way longer, too.  It really set back my weight loss.

lizzard718
on 1/30/13 4:53 pm
DS on 12/18/12

Yes, I agree.

I am just over 6 weeks out and had to have an Incisional Hernia Repair Surgery last week...BE CAREFUL!  Don't pu****if you have to just open the carton and take in a few items at a time...the extra walking is good for you :)

The Hernia surgery is horrible compared to my DS and I had open procedure.  I feel like I am set so far back.  I just got home from the hospital Saturday and I am barely moving around still.

fattynNC
on 1/27/13 12:14 am
DS on 08/28/12

I'm 5 months out and don't lift anything heavy at all.  I had a tiny hernia prior to surgery that was not repaired during the surgery.  I don't want to make it larger and I don't want to get another one.  I bring in my pack mule (husband) for any heavy lifting.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views