Has anyone here had a total rebversal of their D/S ?

bigtonr65
on 2/25/13 3:01 am - Albuquerque, NM

I had a very succseseful D/S in 2006, unfortunately in 2008 I had a very succsesful case of colo-rectal cancer. I've been cancer free sincer June of '09. Problem is, my chemo and radiation and various surgeries have  left me with a slew of problems. I can't reverse what chemo, radiation and colo=-rectomy, but I know there are aspects of the D/S that ca be reversed.

Has anybody had this done, or know of somewhere I can get some more info on this? I've recently started communicating  with my surgeon, but would like some more info for my own piece of mind.

BTW, pre-op, 5' 11" 360lbs. Healthy post op weight, 180 lbs. Lowest weight while undergoing treatment 147lbs. Current weight 174lbs.

southernlady5464
on 2/25/13 3:04 am

Unfortunately the sleeve half of the DS is not reversible. The intestine half can be but it is a very difficult process and if I were you, I would get in contact with either Rabkin or Keshishian in California for help.

Good luck.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

bigtonr65
on 2/25/13 3:52 am - Albuquerque, NM

Keshishian was my surgeon. I just emailed him late last week.

MsBatt
on 2/25/13 3:06 am

You can certainly get your small intestine put back into its original configuration. Exactly what issues are you hoping to resolve by doing this?

bigtonr65
on 2/25/13 4:07 am - Albuquerque, NM

It’s not so simple, there areas several issues. This will certainly not cure my problems, but it might vastly improve my quality of life.

What are some of the negative effects of having the D/S?

1. Mal absorption.
  2. Poo, gas, continence issues.

All things I was able to live with pre cancer. Cancer becomes an X factor that exasperates ALL these other symptoms. It multiplies them by a factor of ten.

Think you have poo troubles now? Imagine that with a shortened rectum and colon, plus rampant fistula. I also took my radiation to my pelvis which has greatly diminished my ability to re produce marrow which has resulted really bad anemia.

I’m hoping that restoring my GI tract back to normal will at least lessen and maybe even eliminate some of these problems.

PattyL
on 2/25/13 3:12 am, edited 2/25/13 3:12 am

Your stomach stretches.  You can never get back what was cut out but the intestinal part is reversible and you can get your old GI tract back.  They just put you back together again the way you were before.  After the surgery it takes a while for your reattached guts to wake up and start absorbing again.  Reversals are not very common but it can be done.

bigtonr65
on 2/25/13 3:50 am - Albuquerque, NM

Thanks for the info. I knew there was nothing to be done about the size of my stomach, but it's comforting to know that the processes controlling absorbtion could be reversed. That will help big time.

Valerie G.
on 2/25/13 4:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

What a nightmare!  I've not heard of any form of reversals being without problems, so I'll pray for you.  You'll be in good hands with Dr. K, though.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

zuzupetals2u2
on 3/3/13 1:54 am - Sedona, AZ

I hope you've also considered that there is a good chance of you gaining a lot of weight back if you do that. Are you sure you can't better manage your symptoms with diet, probiotics or considered maybe that it is a temporary situation while your body is recuperating? I am sure tho Dr K will do the right thing for you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 792 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 265 views