malabsorbtion 2 yrs out

jashley
on 3/22/13 2:24 pm
DS on 12/19/12

If our systems adjust after 18-24 months, and our bodies start to absorb more of our calories/nutrients - does that mean our labs will become more stable and we will usually start absorbing more elements? 

That we could actually be talking less supplements in the future?

MajorMom
on 3/22/13 8:10 pm - VA

I'm almost 6 years out and I've only been able to reduce doses on a few things under the watchful eye of my dietitian. My labs can still bounce around quite a bit. Just when you think you've got one thing covered, another one pops up and will drive you crazy. Vitamin coverage and tweaking after bouncy labs never stops. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

on 3/22/13 8:47 pm

Malabsorbtion  of calories  ends?

VSG TO DS REVISION 

MajorMom
on 3/22/13 8:55 pm - VA

I think our bodies adapt over time but I also think we add too many carbs over time as well. Hard to know which it is or if it's a combo of the two.  

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 3/23/13 1:28 am - bay area, CA

I'm over 7 years out and still taking as much supplements as ever. It's best to accept that you will need all those supplements for the rest of your life. You will absorb more calories as time goes on, but you will always have significant malabsorption to help you maintain.

Larra

jashley
on 3/23/13 3:00 am
DS on 12/19/12

Same topic, but different question:  Where are the intestinal feeders (forgot the name - Visula?) going to increase?  In the common channel, or through the whole intestines from stomach to the colon? 

So if the absorbtion capabilities increases, are we increasing our ability to absorb only a few items much better (just common channel) or all nutrients evenly (through the whole tract)?

MsBatt
on 3/23/13 3:34 am

They're called villi. I imagine they do increase throughout the whole intestinal tract, but the ones in the BP limb are of no use, since there's no food there, and the ones in the alimentary limb are unable to absorb any fat, since there's no bile there. And the ones in the large intestine don't absorb calories, period. Over time you *may* absorb a little more protein and complex carbs, but probably not much, if any, more fat.

Specific nutrients are only absorbed at specific receptor sites, so---most people actually find that over time they need MORE vitamin and mineral supplements, not less.

Valerie G.
on 3/23/13 8:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ummm, no - we're not like the RNY where the benefit is gone.  There may be some adjustment, but not enough to have a significant impact, negative or positive from what I've experienced (I'm 7.5 yrs out)

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

downsize54
on 3/23/13 10:32 am - MI
DS on 07/12/12

This  what I was thinking...and depending on. Thanks for confirming .

jashley
on 3/23/13 11:07 am
DS on 12/19/12

So even though the weight loss slows down after 2 years (the honeymoon period), we are not necessarily absorbing more nutrients?  I thought that was why the weight doesn't melt off with ease any more after 2 yrs....

Do we start to have a harder time at 2 years because our metabolisms become even slower?  And it has nothing to do with nutrient absorbtion?  It's just the natural aging process - not the villi doubling?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views