I'm new! And I'm hungry.

CoColette
on 4/28/13 7:19 pm - WA
DS on 03/27/13
Hi all! I'm new to the site, and happy I found it! I'm a little over 4 weeks post op, on puréed foods. Is it normal to be hungry still, after I eat? Maybe hungry isn't the right word... I feel hollow. I can tell when my stomach is full, but I don't feel satisfied. I don't know how to explain it, so I thought maybe someone else could relate? Am example: I puréed some Weigh****chers Mac n Cheese the other day (it was delicious), I ate half, was "full", but still felt empty. Does anyone else experience this? And please tell me that feeling goes away!
hollykim
on 4/29/13 12:11 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Welcome to the board! No,it is not normal to feel empty after eating unless you are eating the wrong foods. Macaroni is a complete carb. it turns into simple sugar the minute it touches our mouth.s. DS'ers also absorb 100% of the carbs we eat which does not help weight loss. Eating carbs is going to make you feel hungry all the time and will likely make you want to eat all the time,and guess what you are going to want to eat? More carb. You need to focus on pureed meats,can tuna and chicken,string cheese,pureed chili with less beans if possible,very soft cooked eggs and no carbs.

A great site to find pureed recipes is  WWW.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com. shelly is a veteran RNY'er and has recipes for every stage. GL

allegedlylisa
on 4/29/13 2:42 am

I have experienced the same feeling you describe.  I'm not so sure that it is hunger.  It's different, weird, a very empty feeling.  I often can't tell the difference between when I'm feeling hungry and feeling full.  I've never been so aware of my stomach as an organ as I am now.  Hunger certainly doesn't feel the same as it did before.  And now, as soon as I eat, I get these weird gurglings coming up the back of my throat like I can all of a sudden feel my whole entire digestive system come to life.  I generally eat until I get this feeling that the next bite is going to be uncomfortable.  But, then like an hour later (sometimes not even that long), I feel that weird thing in my stomach again like I might be hungry.  It just takes time to figure it all out.  Our bodies are AMAZING at telling us what we need and don't need.  It's just I've not listened to it for so long that it's all new.

Lisa

Irishnurse
on 4/29/13 2:56 am, edited 4/29/13 3:00 am
DS on 04/17/13

I agree that it is more than likely the carbs you are eating. I fill up when I eat tuna and eggs or any high protein food. Both times I ate mashed potatoes I was hungry shortly after.

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Crazeru
on 4/29/13 6:04 am

Deviled egg or tuna salad with mayo were very easy for me.  Soft boiled or fried eggs were easier than scrambled (sat like a rock).  Any meat with gravy or sauce.  Meatballs with tomato sauce.  Stew meat.  You will probably only be able to eat a few bites.  30-60 mins eat a few more bites.  If you haven't made any Ricotta Fluff, now is a great time.  Eat 1/4 cup at a time.  Try and stay away from the carbs.  Protein, protein, protein. 

Learn what your full feeling is.  It can be hiccups, sneezes, burps, runny nose.  TAKE HEED.  If you over fill your new tummy, you may be very uncomfortable for 30+ mins or you may even get sick.  I had a few things that my tummy said no to very early.  Only thing that came up was the offending food - yogurt and sauce with some chicken, some mayo/mustard from a little potato salad, all that was very early out.  

It was normal for me to eat every 30-45 min early out but it was only a few bites at a time, now it's pretty much every hour or two.  I'm 5 yrs out. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

OmahaMama
on 4/29/13 6:34 am - NE
deviled eggs sound so good right now!
CoColette
on 4/29/13 10:34 am - WA
DS on 03/27/13
Thank you all so much for your replies, everything you've said is very helpful! And deviled eggs really do sound good right now. I just used my WW Mac n Cheese as an example (that was my first "all carb" meal), but I get this feeling with pure protein too! I had eggs yesterday and I had the same feeling. And cottage cheese, same thing. I have my 5 week follow-up on Friday, I'll be sure to bring it up!

@allegedlylisa That's exactly how I feel! I can tell when my new stomach is getting full, I just don't actually feel full and satisfied. But you're right, I'm sure (I hope!) it's just a matter of getting used to my new digestive system.

@hollykim Thank you for the welcome and the great website, I'm excited to check it out!

@Crazeru I hadn't even heard of Ricotta Fluff, but I just looked it up and yum! Thank you! I'll definitely try that!

I'll let you all know if the doc says anything on Friday!
MsBatt
on 4/29/13 12:37 pm

I suspect things will be different when you start eating 'normal' foods. Pureed stuff just isn't very satisfying.

CoColette
on 4/29/13 4:58 pm - WA
DS on 03/27/13
I'm hoping that's what it is! Baby food is never something I thought would satisfy me! Except, you know, when I was a baby. I'm looking forward to chewing again one day, I hope that makes a big difference.
2renee
on 4/29/13 11:46 pm - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

I had that feeling and it wasn't hunger.  I started taking an acid reducer and poof, that feeling was gone.  If you are just 4 weeks out, your tiny tummy cannot be empty after you have eaten a few bites of anything and I agree with the others - stay away from the carbs.   Meat, fish, cheese, greek yogourt, cottage cheese and that's about it for now...

Give your body a chance to heal.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 359 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 818 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views