3 weeks post op

meq815
on 5/21/13 4:58 am - PA

Hello, I am 3 weeks post op and have never felt so bad in all my life. Having a very difficult time, and just looking for some encouragement. I was severely nauseated from the moment I woke up post op. Ended up staying 2 nights, instead of one. My first week home got better, and I really did feel good, aside from my complete aversion to the protein supplements. Couldn't get them down for anything! Day 15, all h*** broke loose...the nausea returned with a vengeance...crippling, disabling nausea. Rare actual vomiting though. I am on Zofran and Compazine suppository. No one prepared me for this..... I am so blue, truly questioning my decision. I have a wonderful husband who is doing his best to be supportive, but, you know, life goes on, and I would just feel worse if I insisted he change his schedule any more than he has, just to sit here and watch me feel lousy. Yesterday and today I have been able to tolerate a couple protein shakes, and clear liquids are not a problem. I think my biggest problem right now is the emotional. I just want to feel good again!

larra
on 5/21/13 7:59 am - bay area, CA

Many people have a bad time with nausea after any surgery with general anesthesia, let alone a surgery that also messes with your digestive system. This WILL get better!

In the meantime, try backing off on the protein shakes and just focus on staying hydrated. Your body has protein stores that will get you through the first few weeks. If they are contributing to your nausea, they are counterproductive at this point.

Also, for some people right after the DS, reflux presents as nausea. You are on good anti-nausea meds, but are you on a PPI? (proton pump inhibitor). If not, try some prilosec or other PPI. It might really help a lot.

Larra

Jcohen66
on 5/21/13 8:24 am - Katonah, NY
The first couple of days weeks are tough but it will get easier. I found hot tea helped me more than anything else.
meq815
on 5/21/13 9:51 am - PA

Yes, I am on omeprazole.  I am also just so exhausted.  Showering is an hour long event, with having to lay down immediately after.

Irishnurse
on 5/21/13 10:20 am
DS on 04/17/13

I remember those aweful days of being so weak when I showered. During one I actually passed out and my Mother had to catch me and drag me to the bed. I slept for two hours. Just make sure you are getting your water in. Dehydration will make you more sick. Make sure you take your omeprazole. Nexium is the only thing that kept me from ****ting acid and puking. I was miserable but it does get better. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

meq815
on 5/21/13 11:25 am - PA

All of your replies really do make me feel better!  I ate a mushy poached egg about 3 hours ago, and I am so completely full!  Thanks for making me feel like maybe I am not crazy.....

PeteA
on 5/21/13 11:37 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I hope you feel better tomorrow. Once you turn the corner every day will be a little better. One day you'll get ready for sleep and think "today went OK". Better days ahead.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

meq815
on 5/21/13 12:28 pm - PA

Thanks, Pete.  Can't wait for that day.

jzwife
on 5/21/13 3:24 pm
I had my surgery on March 19 so I am about 10 weeks out. I honestly think you are probably feeling what all of us have felt. Give yourself about 6 weeks. It takes your body time to heal and it has been thru so much trauma. You will find that each day will get just a little bit better- there will be less nausea, more strength and energy to do things and life in general will just seem a lot better. Pay close attention to what makes you nauseated too. I found that certain proteins actually make me very nauseated. I can do certain meats but others not so well. Some days it goes down easier than others but I am finding each day gets a little better.
Please take care and know there is light at the end of that tunnel!
Sharon
nativenewyorker64
on 5/22/13 2:03 am - UT

A few days ago I was so down. I wondered what the heck I was thinking, but the past two days have been better. I think its going to be a roller coaster ride for a while. I hope you get to feeling better and know that your not alone.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views