burning mouth

pam_b
on 10/14/13 5:06 am

has anyone heard anyone getting burning mouth syndrome from a vitamin deficiency.

MajorMom
on 10/14/13 6:13 am - VA

Yes, but I have to look it up to see which one it is. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MajorMom
on 10/14/13 6:15 am - VA

Looks like it could be several. Link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/burning-mouth-syndrome/DS00 462/DSECTION=causes

• Nutritional deficiencies, such as lack of iron, zinc, folate (vitamin B-9), thiamin (vitamin B-1), riboflavin (vitamin B-2), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and cobalamin (vitamin B-12)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

pam_b
on 10/14/13 12:49 pm

Thank you Gina,

I have been to several doctors and my dentist with no answers. I am miserable. Making another appointment tomorrow with another doctor. Taking this information with me.

gerty39
on 10/14/13 2:16 pm - Payson, UT
Pam, I'm sorry you're going through this! It can be so painful. I had burning mouth so bad a couple of years ago I couldn't eat or drink and could barely swallow. My dentist had never seen it before, but has been researching it ever since. My former doctor wouldn't do much. I still don't know exactly what caused it, ybut the only thing that got me through the pain was "magic mouthwash." It's a prescription that numbs your mouth.

The most popular formulation of magic mouthwash contains viscous lidocaine as a topical anesthetic, diphenhydramine as an anti-inflammatory, and Maalox to help coat the tissues in the mouth.
dustycroy
on 10/14/13 2:26 pm
DS on 05/14/13

Im just curious, did you ever find out the cause of this?  And how long did it take to finally go away, or do you still get it sometimes?

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

pam_b
on 10/14/13 2:42 pm

Thank you for the info. I have a dental appointment tomorrow. I will definately mention this to my dentist. I have been to 4 doctors and none had an answer for me. Just burning mouth syndrome, which there is no treatment. How long did yours last? This is my 4th week.

gerty39
on 10/15/13 1:31 am, edited 10/15/13 8:30 am - Payson, UT
It did last for quite a while. The first 4-6 weeks was the worst, but the magic mouthwash helped. Seriously, I had a hard time talking! My dentist also had me start using biotene toothpaste and mouthwa****'s for dry mouth and doesn't burn.

I got recurrences often the first year and less frequently as time has gone on. I still get them but not as bad as the first time. When my mouth starts burning on a food that it didn't the day before, I start eating yogurt. I think it helps, but that's just me, plus it's cool and soothing.

I don't know exactly what caused it, because I have several of the things on the list of causes. Vit b-12 deficiency anemia, iron deficiency anemia, anxiety, depression, and several medications that cause dry mouth.

It could be caused by one of those or the treatment for one of those.

Good luck at your appointment!
dustydeer
on 10/15/13 11:58 pm

sometimes you can have thrush that doesn't appear as white and evident... for me sometimes, it was red and sore...burned. How's your protein?

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 301 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 771 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 256 views