Duodenal Switch With Single Anastomosis

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 12/4/13 8:57 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Anyone heard of this procedure: Duodenal Switch With Single Anastomosis?

I have no idea what it means, but just wondering if anyone has heard of it or had it done.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/11/prweb11375569.htm

(I have a Google News alert set up so that I get alerted to any news articles about the DS.) :)

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

PattyL
on 12/4/13 10:19 am

It's also called Single Loop DS.  I think there is at least one person here who had this done.  I have read a little but don't know much about it.  And of course there's no data at all on how well it works.

LupitaChin
on 12/5/13 12:02 pm

My doctor actually had quite a bit of data on this and long term the weight loss is very similar but less complications. His data goes back at least 5 years.

hollykim
on 12/5/13 1:54 am, edited 12/6/13 5:27 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I am wondering if this is what I had instead of a typical DS.  Have lost about 15  # since my DS 9months ago,  but to be fair,I can't stay away from carbs either which does have an effect for me.

i had a sleeve for 3 years before the switch and only. Had about. 50# to lose so maybe that is why he. Decided to use this method. 

I would not recommend it if one needs serious loss. I do believe maintaining will be easier but. Real loss? Not so much.

globaljuju
on 5/29/17 7:42 pm
VSG on 12/20/13

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had the weight loss you had hoped for. Any more progress since you posted here? I, too, had a sleeve gastrectomy, and am only down about 17 pounds from the surgery 2.5 years ago. Hoping the DS will help me lose the last 35!

LupitaChin
on 12/5/13 11:59 am

I had this done! I LOVE it! There are lower complication rates with it because of how they "hook" in the rerouted intestines. I felt icky for about a week after surgery and since then I have had way more energy than I have had in a long time. I have also lost the back and knee pain I had just from walking. Even for this type of surgery mine is conservative (300 cm common channel) I am 2 months out and I have lost 60 lbs and am still going strong. I do watch my carbs and really focus on my water intake. Everyone will have different results but I also think it is important to remember that it is a tool and not just a fix. 

chimeraboo
on 10/9/14 2:09 pm - Raleigh, NC
Revision on 10/10/14

Hi Lupita, I am getting the Single loop DS tomorrow morning. I was wondering how your results have been with the surgery.

LupitaChin
on 10/10/14 12:45 am

HI! Thanks for asking and GOOD LUCK! It was seriously the BEST decision I have ever made! I had the lap band it was horrible and this surgery has been phenomenal! I am 1 year post op and have lost 140 lbs and expect to lose the rest (60 lbs) soon. I never had any complications, and in fact a few weeks after surgery I felt better than I had in months because I had more energy (with less weight to carry around) and I was healthier than I had been in a long time.

The biggest reason I had the surgery because I had fertility problems for years and hoped that it would help. After so many years of not getting pregnant my husband and I evidently weren't as careful as we should have been and I got pregnant 3 months out... (I know not a great idea). Despite that I continued to lose weight up until about a month or so ago - and I have maintained since then. I am due in 2 weeks and my doctor thinks I will lose about 20 more pounds with the baby out, losing the water, placenta, etc. That will only leave me 40 lbs to lose and with breast feeding and getting back into a work out routine I don't anticipate any problems meeting my goal weight. Even more importantly than the weight loss (which I am SO grateful for every day) my baby is healthy! My doctors have both monitored him and my vitamin levels very closely and we are both kicking butt in that area. He has never been behind on his growth scans and i****ting all the milestones they look for prenatally. My advice is make sure to take your vitamins, take everything 1 day at a time, and find a good support network to help you through the rough days. I didn't find a ton of support on here - but I follow a lot of weight loss surgery accounts on Instagram and I have found SO much positivity and support that helped me a LOT. The brain game is tough and there will be days you doubt yourself and your surgery, but don't give up - stick to the diet plans and don't beat yourself up for the occasional slip. The weight didn't come on in less than a year so don't beat yourself up when it doesn't all fall off within a month or 2 (though there will also be the days that you are just floored by how far you have come!!!!).

I am so excited for you and your journey! Good luck! You got this!!!

globaljuju
on 5/29/17 7:40 pm
VSG on 12/20/13

Thank you so very much for sharing. I have my DS surgery next month. I am so nervous. This REALLY helps! I, for one, would love to know how you're doing now! Thanks again!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 324 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views