Constipation?

Bella0821
on 3/8/14 2:37 am

I thought people with the DS went to the bathroom MORE, well why am I not going at all?

MajorMom
on 3/8/14 2:43 am - VA

The anesthesia and drugs they give you in the hospital may be causing some constipation. Normally, early post-op, you'll be getting the looser stools once those are out of your system.

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Sheanie
on 3/8/14 11:21 am

Did you start your calcium, by any chance?  How far out are you?  I am now very constipated post-DS, and I know it's my calcium, because when I stop it for a day, everything is good.  So now I take magnesium oxide with my calcium doses.  Keeps my chimney un-bricked.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

PeteA
on 3/9/14 5:31 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I second the magnesium oxide when you start the calcium.

Early out it's hard to tell if constipation will be an issue for you because things are wonky from
the surgery and pain meds. The first month was the only time I have been truly constipated.

Having said that I have seen some people that just have to deal with the constipation although you are
right it is more the norm to go more after surgery. Everyone is different. You might try Miralax for the
constipation. I keep some for just in case moments.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Valerie G.
on 3/9/14 8:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Some milk of magnesia will help.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jaiart
on 3/9/14 8:19 pm - MI
  • I've been experiencing the same thing.  No go....   taken laxatives Gas x, still no go. Can't even pass gas.

Bella0821
on 3/11/14 12:22 pm

i know me too grrrrrrrr.........

Jaiart
on 3/11/14 2:30 pm - MI

Not a fatalist but got me thinking colon cancer, when other symptoms are taken into consideration with this inability to evacuate. Keep wondering what happens when the old system gets full. Something has to give. Painful to think of yet I can't think of much else and getting my affairs in order in case.

Sheanie
on 3/11/14 3:01 pm

Constipation after DS is more common than you think.  Especially among us taking the full daily dosage of calcium.  Don't fool around with constipation.  Get it under control and keep it under control.  The risks of anal fissures and hemorrhoids is too great, not to mention impaction.  You don't even want to know what the treatment for impaction is.  Trust me.  You just don't.

Start taking Magnesium Oxide every day.  Take it with your calcium dose.  It comes in capsule form, easy peasy to take.  Dole it out into your daily vitamin container and keep taking it.  Don't take laxatives long term. 

If increasing your fat intake doesn't work on constipation (it didn't for me), then go the Mag Ox route.  Or try the Fat Bombs recipe.  I make mine with Nutella instead of honey and cocoa.  I keep them in the freezer, cut into one inch cubes.  When my chimney gets bricked, I pull the Fat Bombs out.  Problem solved.

And drink more water.  Because the Mag Ox needs water to work.

Happy Pooping.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Jaiart
on 3/11/14 8:25 pm - MI

Ok, gotta ask. What's a fat bomb and how do I make it?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1046 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1203 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 497 views