Welcome Back, Diabetes (Not)

Batwingsman
on 7/1/14 6:45 am - Garland, TX

Hello Everyone,

I know it's been a long time since I've visited.  The good news (I guess) is that I have only regained about 1/3 of my EWL at almost 8 years out, and the past year have been staying steady in the 320s.  The bad news is I have watched my A1c level slowly increase this year from the usual 5.2-ish to 5.6, then 5.8, and now 6.0, which = full blown Type II diabetes.  My family doc has put me back on Metformin to try to keep it under control w/o insulin. 

I'm curious as to whether anyone else out there has had a return of their diabetes, post-op? 

My next visit with the doc I'm going to have a blood lipid panel run, to see if at least that part of the DS is still working for me. 

I guess what some have said about the DS not being a "cure" for diabetes but rather a procedure that makes diabetics "asymptomatic" must be correct.    

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Chris Mitchell
on 7/1/14 7:25 am

Sorry to hear that dude! What is great about the DS is it can work again, cut thouse carbs down and it will work again, since we still absorb allot of the cmomplex carbs and 100% of the simple thouse are evil for us. Of corse I do not know your situation but I hope you can get back on track and nip this thing.

Chris M. - Highest Weight = 397 lbs, Start of Program = 386 lbs, Day of Surgery = 360 lbs

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vinnero0

southernlady5464
on 7/1/14 7:37 am

Your doctor is really aggressive.

My diabetes is still a looming issue but as long as I stay UNDER a 6.5, then my PCP will let me keep at the diet/exercise route. And NOT add any medication.

My age may have something to do with it as I am 60 and endocrinologists/PCP's etc seem to 7 to be the cutoff for the older population.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

PeteA
on 7/2/14 6:41 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Maybe it is a little aggressive to be back on metformin but I think the trip from 6 - 7 would be a bad step.

Have you had any luck going back to your initial post-op menu's?

Did you walk out of surgery no longer on meds or did the diabetes go away gradually as your weight went down?
I guess I won't hassle my endocrinologist when she says remission and not cured.

Valerie G.
on 7/4/14 12:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hello Paul,

From your active days out here, you were self-proclaimed the absolute worst, reckless eater for a DS post-op, bending and breaking every single rule to the point that you were a  menace to your coworkers as you all collectively suffered your after-effects.  If one is continuing to be so reckless, it doesn't surprise me that you are seeing the health effects of it.

The DS is a cure for 98% of the patients with Type2 Diabetes, and I'll bet most of them followed the rules at least a little.  You, however are an exception to that expectation, so I would expect a similar effect, wouldn't you?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

stormy918
on 7/4/14 6:16 am

Valerie I agree with you 100%. Paul I am truly surprised that you ever got of  your diabetes meds in the first place with your history as an early DSer.

Maybe you should go back to basics...if you even know what that is.

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/5/14 11:53 am

As reckless as you have been in the years since your surgery, I'm surprised you have done as well as well as you have.

If ever there was a person who was determined to not follow any rules, it was you. Be thankful you had any time free of the meds.

Sheanie
on 7/6/14 10:05 am

Hello Paul, I remember you very well.  I am almost 5 years post-op and my Type 2 diabetes was gone immediately after surgery and has never returned. 

For the newbies out there reading this post, Paul (Batwingsman) is a perfect example of what NOT to do after the DS.  Go back and read his early posts, where he ignored sage advice from veteran DSers.  He ate simple carbohydrates with wild abandon from a very early date.  If ever there was a person who could **** up the DS, it is Paul.  He says he has "watched my A1c level slowly increase this year", but doesn't say what he has done about it.  He hasn't said he is avoiding all sugar and flour, simple carbs, etc.  Because he is not. 

I would venture a guess that in the "long time" since he's visited, that he's been eating like he did before his DS.  Carbs first and foremost, sloppy eating.  Eating bread, chips, breaded and fried foods, cakes, cookies, well, you get the idea. 

But by all means, go back and read his back posts.  It will be enlightening for newbies wanting to know exactly how NOT to do things.

"If you can't be a good example, at least be a dire warning."

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

MsBatt
on 7/6/14 2:52 pm

I see you're self-labeling yourself as a DS failure. You have worked very hard at being a failure, and we've told you and told you how you're failing but you refuse to change.

Your DS is working just fine. The problem is not with the surgery, but with your behaviour.

Newbies, real Paul's posting history. Don't make all the dumb mistakes Paul did, and continues to do.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 837 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1092 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 368 views