Part 1 - discussing my recent bowel obstruction (cross post to other boards)

buffalobillsfan
on 10/30/14 10:55 pm - CA

I'm posting on a couple of websites to reach as many people as possible.  I posted this yesterday to BariatricFacts.com but will also do Proboards today.  Since my original posting I have some new concerns so I'll address in a separate post. 

I'm 47 year old female and had my DS almost exactly 5 years ago by the awesome Dr John Rabkin.  I had a virgin DS, easy recovery and no complications.  I've struggled with the normal things like finding protein sources I could stomach for the first year, getting all the vites and liquids in, and had some low iron and low cholesterol issues.  Other than that, I consider myself a success both physically and mentally.  I went from 294 lbs and now hover in the 137-143 range (I'm 5'2"). 

On Friday I had some belly pain that was just completely different than any other pain I have had.  I would say 6-7 out of 10 but I was able to fall asleep thru it as the pain decreased and woke up without it.  After I ate something on Saturday I felt a slight pain again but it subsided.  I did have a "hmmmm" moment though.  We went out for dinner on Saturday and I ate pretty well but didn't have my huge normal appetite.  I started to get stomach pain again.  I had told my husband about it and he's a big hypochondriac/worrier and made me promise if I had bad pain again that I would go to ER. 

We fell asleep on the couch and I was woken up around midnight to the same pain.  I looked at the boards and googled small bowel obstruction and I still had gas/bowel movements but I did have diarrhea and burping.  In my heart I knew what it was. Since I had to work Sunday I figured I'd better go to ER then so I could be home in time to go to work.  I knew Dr Rabkin sometimes worked out of El Camino Hospital so I went there even though it was a bit of a journey.  I brought my recent labs from 2 weeks ago and my CT Scan instructions for a DS.  They took me right in and had the same recommendation for the CT scan so I didn't have to argue.  When it was confirmed there was an SBO they called Dr Rabkin who asked if I wanted to be transferred to San Fran to be treated by him.  ABSOLUTELY.  It was the bright spot in my dark day. 

The first doctor to look at it said that maybe without food and water and some bed rest observation it would pass.  He said there were a few other things that he wanted to try before surgery came into the picture.  I was thrilled.  For a minute.  Dr Rabkin looked at it and recommended exploratory surgery.  I trust him and went with it.  An hour later I was in surgery.  I didn't have much time to freak out but managed to get a small breakdown in.  When I woke up, nauseated and in pain, I heard Dr Rabkin telling me surgery had definitely been needed and that I was a mess inside.  I had 3 things wrong - hernia repair mesh in a ball in my gut, small bowel pushed into/attached to my colon and I think my small bowel was wrapped around adhesions.  3 hours in surgery.  So much pain for the first few days I was losing my sanity.  I was also NPO and so thirsty.  I didn't have gas until Wednesday and as of today haven't had a bowel movement since my nervous stomach poop after finding out I needed surgery.  So frustrating. 

I don't know how women have a C-section and then care for a newborn.  OMG!  I can finally form a thought so I thought I would post on all boards my experience in the hopes that it will help others.  I had a huge single corner room with a view, was treated so well by the staff at CPMC and my husband stayed with me the whole time which helped tremendously. 

My advise would be to error on the side of caution when it comes to stomach pain.  I read several times of people ignoring or waiting with excruciating pain to go to the ER.  I hate hospitals and the copay they inflict when it isn't an emergency.  The most important part is that this pain was DIFFERENT than any other pain I had ever had. That seems to be a common thread when something is medically wrong. I wouldn't call it excruciating like I thought an SBO would be. I only had a few symptoms so don't wait until you have all symptoms.  I had no vomiting, nausea, fever, constipation or loss of appetite. I was also prepared to fight for what I wanted and advocate for myself. 

My questions would be for those who had surgery are:

1.  How long did it take for you to have a bowel movement?

2.  How long did the tough pain last?  I'm 4 days out and I'm still at a 7 or so on the pain scale.  Is this normal?

3.  How long until you could to back to work?

4.  How long before you felt 100% back to normal?

5.  Did anything change after your surgery (medical, weight, appetite, bowel movements)?

6.  Any advice you can recommend?

Thanks for any words of wisdom and  for taking the time to read all of this as I know I am wordy!

Best Regards,

Cathy

MsBatt
on 10/31/14 1:08 am

I can't really answer any of your questions, because my bowel obstruction did resolve without surgery. Mine came on very quickly---I was fine that morning, and before sundown I was in the ER screaming in pain, vomiting, the whole nine yards.

You have all my sympathy!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 321 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 260 views