DS vs RNY?

Jen-2
on 12/12/14 11:15 am
DS on 02/02/15

Would you still choose to have the DS surgery if you had a BMI under 40 but have 100 pounds to lose?   My surgeon is recommending the RNY but I think that's because he doesn't do the DS.  Blood work showed I'm pre-diabetic and had low vitamin D for which I now take 2000 units of vit D3.  

Valerie G.
on 12/13/14 2:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would definitely choose DS again (9yrs post op).  I couldn't be happier with the results and my life today...and YES the doc isn't recommending it because they don't offer it.  The requirements for DS are the same as RNY

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 12/13/14 2:44 am, edited 12/13/14 2:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Internal server errors are preventing people from posting and some replies of diligent people to show up twice, so be patient.  Once OH gets their server issues resolved you should see a good response.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Star0210
on 12/13/14 3:04 am
DS on 11/28/14

If I couldn't get the DS, I'd get the sleeve. Encore I'd get RNY. 

RNY just doesn't make sense to me...the long term stats are pretty sucky. I just don't see a whole lot of positive reasons to ever get the RNY. 

Maybe...MAYBE if I had severe GERD and it was my only option...even then I don't know if I would do it.

larra
on 12/13/14 8:38 am - bay area, CA

The DS is a standard of care bariatric surgery for anyone who qualifies medically for bariatric surgery, and not restricted to people with higher bmi's (except by some insurers and some surgeons, but there is no MEDICAL justification for this). The DS has the best statistics of any presently available bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintenance of that weight loss (which is a big deal) and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. It will allow you to take NSAIDs, which are contraindicated for life with RNY. It does not, or very rarely if at all, cause dumping, which is NOT a weight loss tool but rather a potentially very unpleasant side effect that some people with RNY get. It maintains normal stomach emptying because the pyloric valve is in use.

Keep in mind also that for anyone who has RNY and it doesn't work out, conversion to DS is high risk, and often difficult to get covered by insurance. Since very few surgeons do this complex operation it also often involves considerable travel. So I would say, get it right the first time! If you want gastric bypass for some reason, fine, that is your choice. But if the DS is what you believe is in your best interests, don't let a surgeon who doesn't do the DS talk you out of it. Consult with a DS surgeon. If you need to travel, do so. It's well worth the extra effort.

Larra

MsBatt
on 12/13/14 9:30 am

When I started my WLS journey, I was scheduled for the RNY---even though it scared the crap outta me. Fortunately, I learned about the DS in time to avoid what would have been, for me, a VERY BAD decision.

Now, 11 years later, knowing what I know now, there are only two forms of WLS I would EVER consider. If I could not get a DS, I'd get a Sleeve. If I couldn't get either, Id have no WLS at all.

Jen-2
on 12/15/14 4:35 am
DS on 02/02/15

Thank you for the replies!  I've been researching the DS on this and other boards. I'm going to try to pursue it despite a few insurance obstacles. 

turkeylover
on 12/16/14 2:59 am

I would and am choosing the DS instead of the RNY. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 326 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 262 views