Is 2 surgeries standard for a DS?

PeteA
on 1/27/15 3:00 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I started the process at 556 and at that weight my surgeon wanted to do the DS in 2 steps. Luckily, I was able to lose enough pre-op that he felt comfortable doing it in one step. While I read it may be policy in the UK mostly it is just a surgeon looking at the patient and their own skill set to decide what's the safest bet for both.

I know some people take an anti view of different procedures but really it is just a case of evaluating if you can meet the post-op requirements of your WLS choice and making an informed decision on how your personality fits with those requirements. There are winners and losers for every WLS. Your on the DS site so no surprise that I think a standard DS is the best answer I just know it isn't the only answer.

There is a lot of regain from gastric bypass and for me the issues around a pouch vs a stomach were compelling. SADI/SIPS does seem better than the bypass but I'm not sure what it will take until we get some good stats on the differences between that and a standard DS. The DS has heavy vitamin and protein requirements - if you don't think you can keep up over the long term then one of the others is better for you. I think you consider the pros and cons, make your best decision, and then work to achieve your goals. Hope for the best.

Pete

docputer
on 1/27/15 5:01 am - Topeka, KS
DS on 01/17/13

My Dr told me upfront that because of my size I might require 2 surgeries. However, he was fairly confident that it could be done in one surgery. When I awoke in recovery, that was my first question. It only took the one surgery.

Marleymeluv
on 1/29/15 10:57 am - Hamilton, Canada

Had my DS in 2008 and it was done in one .

:360,

SW:340, CW:128, RGW:126   Lost 20 Lbs preop

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 354 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 813 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views