Holy Hair Loss.....

Up2Me3
on 1/29/15 4:24 am

You know - I knew there would be hair loss and I guess I just didn't pay much attention to those posts because, you know, how bad could it really be? Well..........it's bad. How long does this gone on for....I'm 3 months out and it's been happening for 3 weeks or better. My worry is another 4 weeks of loosing at this pace and I will be bald.....

Suggestions? Anything.....lie to me (not really) but HELP....

Valerie G.
on 1/29/15 6:21 am, edited 1/29/15 6:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It will go on for a few months and then stop.  Now is the time for a makeover.  Get some cute layers to blend in the new growth that's about to emerge, because it's new hair that is pushing out the old.  Shorter layers also aren't as dramatic as long locks in the drain, either.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Dolphingirl1385
on 1/29/15 7:29 am

Mine started about three months out and has been pretty severe around my face, fortunately I have a few long strands on both side that covers most of it up.  So, although it is very thin, you cant really see the balding areas unless I pull my hair back.  I will say I already have some regrowth and the losing has slowed down a bit.  I am now seven months, so that has been my time frame, but it can be different for different people.  

DS on June 13, 2014 with Ara Keshishian

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/15 12:04 pm

I'm about to go thru it as I'm just under 3 months now. Maybe try to upgrade the amount of protein you are taking in.

If that doesn't work, I've got some spray on hair in a can I've been wanting to try for awhile.

buffalobillsfan
on 1/31/15 12:20 pm - CA

Mine started around 3 months and lasted for 2 months.  It took a full year before all the hair was the same length and completely grown in.  I ended up cutting my hair during the transition.  It sucked but at least I was getting skinny.  Not much you can do to stop it.  Treat your hair kindly so it doesn't make it worse. 

jashley
on 2/1/15 1:28 pm, edited 2/1/15 1:30 pm
DS on 12/19/12

It's pretty common at the 3-4 month mark to lose the hair.  I lost more than half of mine, and it kept falling out till 10 months later.  It got thin.  But it comes back.  And it might come back curly or straight - I've read tons of strange posts on this.

I took Biotin, and I'm not sure that did anything.  Some people said it made a difference, others said it did nothing.  If it gets bad, try it.  It might help.

Nothing you will do will stop this phase.  The hair is technically dead from the surgery.  Some people lose very little.  Some go bald. 

Cut your hair, layer it so it has more volume, check out some hats and scarfs, etc.  A small price to pay to lose 100+ lbs.

mariarturner
on 6/17/15 9:11 am

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know it's scary, but you'll be okay. I promise! Your hair loss is due to telogen effluvium and I swear you won't go bald! It is caused because your body has been shocked by the trauma of surgery. Essentially, up to 30% of your hair goes in to the resting phase, and then falls out. It's temporary and WILL grow back. I didn't go through it after my RNY surgery but I did when I had my tummy tuck! I took Vita4Life Hair, Skin and Nail formula and their Multi-Standard formula since the second week post-op. I don't know if I can credit no hair loss post op to that, or to just being one of the lucky ones but I believe the supplements do work. My labs have always been excellent. Good luck. I'll link you the supplements so you can take a look at what I've been using. Just remember... it will grow back. Mine did, and you can't tell I ever lost it!

http://www.amazon.com/Vita4life-Bariatric-Multivitamins-Mult i-standard-Formula/dp/B008A0EE2M/

http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Skin-Nail-Support-Vita4life/dp/B0 08A0V5Q0/

tv73841
on 6/8/15 8:46 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views