Revision from RNY to DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian - Share your DS Experiences

Douglas R.
on 2/2/15 8:24 am

My name is Doug and I live in Southern California. I am a 50 year old male. Previous high weight was 420. I lost to 239 with the help of my RNY in 2003. I am now at 302 pounds. The weight gain has made it hard to go to work and travel with my job. I have widespread joint pain and back pain. My knees are also starting to go and it is hard to exercise. Also, I am hungry all the time and I learned that this is because the remnant stomach is producing a LOT of Ghrellen hormone because the remnant stomach is signaled that the stomach is empty all the time. No wonder! This is the problem with RNY - after the first couple of years you will feel hungry all the time. The DS REVISION will remove the majority of the hormone producing part of the stomach and you will not have the overwhelming hunger sensations. I had my first consult with Dr. Keshishian in Glendale this past week. He wore his widely talked about bow-tie and gave a group seminar to about 4 of us in his office. This was an up close and personal 2 hours spent in getting to know the doctor. We then had a private meeting and exam to discuss the specifics of our needs. He was very nice and compassionate and personable. I have little doubt in his ability to do a great job with the operation and also to give needed comfort and support. I learned that the REVISION procedure from RBY will be done open vs, laparoscopic. It will require a 4 to 6 in*****ision, minimum 3 days in the Hospital and WILL require a feeding tube be placed in the abdomen for 3 to 6 weeks post op. In addition, 2 drains will be placed in abdomen. Dr. Keshishian has done about 400 to 500 revisions from RNY to DS. He had lost 6 patients out of 2000 operations over the years. These were for post operative complications including blood clots and other serious complications. The higher the BMI you have, the riskier the surgery in general is. I am going for the required pre-op testing and submission to my insurance for pre-approval. I have UMR/UHC Options PPO. Although they have a once in a lifetime surgery provision for Bariatric surgery, this means one surgery under the current group policy I have through this employer. So, my previous RNY that I got 12 years ago with a different insurance does not count. That was a relief. I was wondering if we can get more information from people who have had the REVISION from RNY and talk about your experience. Also if anyone has more questions, please ask me and I will try to help. We are in this together if you are on this site.....

Kathy S.
on 2/3/15 5:54 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Doug,

I have not had revision surgery but just wanted to wish you well and ask you keep us posted on how you are doing.  If you have not done so try posting this on the Revision Weight Loss Surgery Forum too

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Brandy G.
on 2/3/15 8:57 am
DS on 08/20/14

I had a virgin DS so I can't help you there, but I wanted to thank you for including the name of the ghrellen hormone in your post.  I had forgotten the name and had been doing all kinds of weird searches trying to find it. 

My hunger, post DS, is a whole a different animal.  I've been sitting here for five minutes trying to figure out how to describe how it has changed into words without any luck.  I wouldn't go quite as far as to say it is my ally now, but I no longer fight it.  I generally have to worry about eating enough, not too much, and eating often enough without it reminding me. 

Good luck!

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Dolphingirl1385
on 2/3/15 9:22 am

Sorry I haven't had a revision, but I did have my DS in June with Dr. K.  You made a great choice, he is amazing.  I couldnt imagine having gone through this process with anyone else.  I had a rough few days in the hospital and he was indeed very supportive.  He is one of the leaders in revisions, he really knows his stuff.  Good Luck! 

DS on June 13, 2014 with Ara Keshishian

KarenRochelle
on 2/18/15 12:33 pm - Stockton, CA

Hi Doug, Well here I am the one you are looking for. I had the revision you mention, the RNY to DS revision in May '09. I had the RNY by a different doctor in Modesto, California, in 04/05. I had lost 90 pounds, but in 2 years had gained back 70 of those 90. My local doctor had suggested I do a crapband over the RNY pouch. Though my BF was all for it, I went home and got online to do some research. I found out about the DS pretty quick. Unfortunately, I did not know of the DS when I researched the RNY and considering I was living on the computer that surprised me. I found out about K and was immediately drawn to this guy. I met him in '07 when I went in to for get-acquainted meeting. I liked his stats and everything about him. I knew the risks of the surgery and especially of a revision, but I was determined to get it done right. I like the fact that he said that I did not fail the surgery (RNY), but that it had failed me. I had to postpone scheduling or a few months because I needed to get the $4,000.00 program fee for a revision. What is his program fee now?

I had an easy surgery considering. I was in and out under 3 hours. Had adhesions taken out, gallbladder and appendix removed, which I think is a great idea since they are not needed by the human body. He redid the RNY back to the original stomach, did the sleeve, and re-routed the intestines. He is a remarkable surgeon. I have done pretty well since my surgery, I did not not get to goal as you know some people in a revision do not get to goal, but it certainly can be done. I also played around a little, but in the last year have lost 20 pounds without trying.  I just starting checking out plastic surgeons. I wish you loads of luck. Come on over to some of the Facebook support groups Duodenal Switch and Friends, just Duodenal Switch, Health&Stuff, and there are a few others. Great group of people and mainly we abhor bullying which some of these groups have encountered. Looking forward to hearing from you Doug.

Karen

Heylove
on 2/23/15 3:22 am
On February 18, 2015 at 8:33 PM Pacific Time, KarenRochelle wrote:

Hi Doug, Well here I am the one you are looking for. I had the revision you mention, the RNY to DS revision in May '09. I had the RNY by a different doctor in Modesto, California, in 04/05. I had lost 90 pounds, but in 2 years had gained back 70 of those 90. My local doctor had suggested I do a crapband over the RNY pouch. Though my BF was all for it, I went home and got online to do some research. I found out about the DS pretty quick. Unfortunately, I did not know of the DS when I researched the RNY and considering I was living on the computer that surprised me. I found out about K and was immediately drawn to this guy. I met him in '07 when I went in to for get-acquainted meeting. I liked his stats and everything about him. I knew the risks of the surgery and especially of a revision, but I was determined to get it done right. I like the fact that he said that I did not fail the surgery (RNY), but that it had failed me. I had to postpone scheduling or a few months because I needed to get the $4,000.00 program fee for a revision. What is his program fee now?

I had an easy surgery considering. I was in and out under 3 hours. Had adhesions taken out, gallbladder and appendix removed, which I think is a great idea since they are not needed by the human body. He redid the RNY back to the original stomach, did the sleeve, and re-routed the intestines. He is a remarkable surgeon. I have done pretty well since my surgery, I did not not get to goal as you know some people in a revision do not get to goal, but it certainly can be done. I also played around a little, but in the last year have lost 20 pounds without trying.  I just starting checking out plastic surgeons. I wish you loads of luck. Come on over to some of the Facebook support groups Duodenal Switch and Friends, just Duodenal Switch, Health&Stuff, and there are a few others. Great group of people and mainly we abhor bullying which some of these groups have encountered. Looking forward to hearing from you Doug.

Karen

Hi Karen!  I originally had my RNY in Modesto, too! Actually, in 2003, Coates and Corbin did the surgeries together in Manteca.  Anyway, I had a wonderful experience with them.  I went from 263 down to my lowest 138, in 9 months.  I then had three children in three years, and still mantained my weight, under 150 for ten years.  I worked HARD at it.  I worked out two hours per day, and ran 3-5 miles 4x/week. Then I had some major things happen in my life, and in the last two years, I have gained almost all of it back.  ObesityHelp assisted me in locating Dr. Keshisian, and I have a consult with him tomorrow!  I am looking forward to being able to move again, and live without constant pain.  And yes, his program fee is still $4000.  And just curious, what day of the week did you have surgery on? How long was your hospital stay?  My recovery from RNY was SO easy, but I feel like I'm older now and may not bounce back as quickly as I did 12 years ago.  

KarenRochelle
on 2/23/15 3:35 am - Stockton, CA

I also had Dr. Coirin just him do my RNY back in '05. It was fairly easy recovery for me too. But considering the revision I had, it went well too. I was able to eat a lot of different things from the get-go once I got the go-ahead to eat solids. Nothing really bothered me or irritated my new insides. I was lucky in that regard. Most people that I have read about do have some issues with "real" food, but it usually works out for the better. May just take a bit of time. I do know a couple of people who have had more trouble with the DS even after 2 years out. I pray that you will do just fine. Again as I told he other guy, come to FB and check out the DS groups there to get a lot of information or if you send me your name I can invite you to a group or two. I think more people are posting there than on here lately, but just another avenue to get info. Be well. Oh, do let me know what you decide.

Karen in Stockton, CA

KarenRochelle
on 2/23/15 3:46 am - Stockton, CA

Sorry forgot to answer your question on day of the week. I had to be down there on Monday and had the surgery on Tuesday. Stayed in the hospital till Friday, then in a motel till Tuesday. Had my release appt on that Tuesday and was sent home. Had the 3 hour drive from Delano (where he used to have his office) back home to Manteca at that time. It was a little rough, but not too bad. My boyfriend drove me. And I did great from then on pretty much. The only tough spot is the cost of the all the supplements I need. I had hoped I would not need so many, but I do take a lot. I take magnesium, calcium, vitamin D3-50, vitamin A, zinc, copper, Vitamin B12, B1, B50 complex, and vitamin K. Broke my femur last September and now on boron and bone booster. That has been hard on me financially, that is the only drawback for me really. Though I did not make my goal of 135, I now am 155 (losing 20 pounds in last year), I am okay with that. Lost that $#@# diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, but still have sleep apnea and I may for life. People have asked me if I knew I had to buy so many vitamins would I have had the DS. I can honestly say "I do not know". I mean at the time I had it my finances were better and then the economy down-turn and then losing work, and the price of food, etc. All of those things played a role in my financial dilemma. Good luck again.

Douglas R.
on 3/13/15 1:24 pm

A note to all following this post. Marlene (HEYLOVE) successfully completed her Revision with Dr. K today!  Please give her some encouragement!

Douglas R.
on 3/13/15 1:22 pm

Karen, thank you for your post and I found it very helpful. I am scheduled for my revision on April 10th with Dr. k. My friend Marlene ( HEYLOVE) who posted below just had her surgery revision done today. She went in at 9 am and by 3 pm, I got a text from her saying she made it!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 260 views