Update On "My Experience With The SADI"

hollykim
on 2/21/15 12:38 pm, edited 2/21/15 12:49 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I think posting this experience gave me the nudge I needed to decide to have a revision to a trueDS with Dr. Ungson. I started the contact procedure with him last night. 

I was thinking about what Valerie said,"that I may have a sorta SADI with who knew what other twists and turns" and the more I thought about that,the more I decided that was just unacceptable to me. 

I MUST know exactly what surgeries I have had or how else can I properly take care of myself? I can't and that is something I can't live with. I am VERY proactive with my health and that doesn't need to change.

there is no good reason NOT to revise to a proven procedure that I know will be what I have asked  for and paid for. I have the money and the time. DH,who is awesome,quoted the wonderful Willie Nelson when DH told me,"if you got the money,honey,I got the time!"

Interestingly,DH and I were already planning a trip to MX for vaca  middle of March. We have decided to use that trip already booked  and paid for ,to go on down and spend a week with Dr. Ungson. 

I feel much better about having made the decision. Taking the Questran for the bile reflux s a bandaid. I don't like band aids when there is a cure for what ails me. 

I will keep the forum posted as it develops. 

Wondering,to the vets,if you only needed to lose 50# and then have the malabsorption to maintain!would you get the standard limb lengths or ask him to tailor the limb lengths to my specific needs? I don't want to malabsorb too much and I feel like he will have very definite thoughts about where we need to go from here. 

Thanks,ya'll! 

Valerie G.
on 2/21/15 1:48 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

OH goodness, that is a better question for Dr. Ungson.  I'm really looking forward to what he finds.  You'll be in good hands.  He knows DS, and he knows SADI, so he'll recognize whatever hybrid was done to you - if any, and with his wealth of experience, he'll have some good suggestions of approach.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 2/22/15 1:35 am - bay area, CA

Great decision! though like Val, I can't answer your question about limb lengths.

Best wishes, and please do keep us posted.

Larra

beemerbeeper
on 2/22/15 2:05 am - AL

Congrats on your decision! I am 5 1/2 years out and was a lightweight with less than 100 lbs to loose. If I could make the decision knowing what I know now I would ask for the smallest sleeve and shortest gut I could get. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/15 7:12 am

You'll be making a mistake if you think a SADi was your problem. The procedure is a big improvement over the standard DS, the same way the DS was a big improvement over the RNY. 

Youre confusing your issue selecting a crappy doctor that performed badly with the tremendous results of the SADi. 

Good luck and make a wise decision with an expert on DS and SADi.

hollykim
on 2/22/15 7:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 22, 2015 at 3:12 PM Pacific Time, jmuldune wrote:

You'll be making a mistake if you think a SADi was your problem. The procedure is a big improvement over the standard DS, the same way the DS was a big improvement over the RNY. 

Youre confusing your issue selecting a crappy doctor that performed badly with the tremendous results of the SADi. 

sounds like you drank the a koolaid. You CANT POSSIBLY know that anything you have said here is a fact. Yeah,yeah, Dr. Roslin,yeah yeah yeah,but it looks like the fabulous DR.ROslin is not above deceiving his patients. about what some of gem are getting. 

You are the one making the mistake all the way around. You are 3 months,maybe out. I am 7 years out. Let's talk again when. You get to be seven years out,shall we?

Valerie G.
on 2/22/15 10:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The DS has 27 years of data still holding on to the best statistics of weight loss and lowest stats for regain. 

SADI is still very new and may be the next great thing - but there's at least 10 years down the line to determine that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Shawnern
on 2/22/15 11:57 pm - Rochester, MN

How can you say it is a big improvement over the DS. when it is still in trial stage? Is it because you read bad things about the DS or is this first hand experience? Where are you getting your information? Why would you come on to a DS forum and ba**** 

southernlady5464
on 2/25/15 2:31 am
On February 22, 2015 at 3:12 PM Pacific Time, jmuldune wrote:

The SADI/Loop DS/SIPS (SIPS is Dr. Roslin's name for it) may replace the RNY...but I seriously doubt it will replace the DS, EVER.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MsBatt
on 2/26/15 2:19 am

The SADI has ZERO long-term stats, and it definitely doesn't have the amount of malabsorption the DS does. Come back and talk to us when you're ten years out.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 301 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 771 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 256 views