Questions.

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/15 12:51 am - Orillia, Canada

Hello, my name is Kat.  I am currently in Ontario, Canada.  I am 6' and around 604 lbs,  (BMI of around 82) I am in the process of being approved for weight loss surgery and I have been to the orientation at HRRH.  My question is, who else here has had DS surgery in Ontario, Canada, how hard was it to get that option? My centre seems to push RNY.  I have Diabetes, High blood pressure and also PCOS, I want to have a surgery where there is not only a higher chance of curing some of those diseases, but also a surgery where there is a better chance of maintained weight loss.  

larra
on 3/1/15 1:01 am - bay area, CA

Good decision! It's clear you've done some research about your options. The DS does have the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities.

The reason your centre (love that Canadian spelling) is pushing RNY is that this is what they do. The only surgeon I know of in Ontario who does the DS is Dr. Hong. I forget what city he's in, it's not Toronto, but his info should be on dsfacts. If not, let me know and I'll find it for you.

The DS works well for anyone who meets the standard medical criteria for bariatric surgery but is esp useful for people with higher bmi's like yourself. Don't let anyone push you into the operation that you are not convinced is best for you. It's possible you might have to wait longer to get the DS, but it will be worth it.

Larra

beemerbeeper
on 3/1/15 2:48 am - AL

Don't settle for an RNY that has such high stats for regain. The DS all the way!! And fight for a one step DS and not a sleeve first and the switch later. There is some kind of magic that happens when you get a full DS that makes the weight loss faster. Best wishes!!

Curves-r-us
on 3/1/15 7:54 am

Hi Kat, 

Although I didn't have the DS, my sister had it done almost two years ago in Montreal by a Fellow who is now on staff in Ottawa. The surgeon is Dr. Amy Neville. She trained for the DS under Dr. Court in Montreal. She appears to have an excellent reputation and my sister absolutely loved her and her DS experience.

You may want to contact theOttawa bariatric program to see if the DS is a possibility with her. 

My sister has had a great weight loss and no problems or issues whatsoever.

I hope this info helps.  

All the best 

Elsie

Carpe diem 

Karen M.
on 3/2/15 2:48 am - Mississauga, Canada

Larra is correct - you would have to be referred to Dr. Hong in Hamilton for a DS.  DEFINITELY something worth considering in your particular situation, Kat.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/15 3:19 am - Orillia, Canada

Yes I am totally interested in doing that, but I don't really know the process, do I wait to meet with the surgeon at HRRH before requesting to go over to St. Joes? Or do I have to start the whole process over again? Like referral and orientation? Anyone been through this process?

Karen M.
on 3/2/15 8:27 am - Mississauga, Canada

I wish I knew the best answer, but I don't. From my recollection over the years (since they started the Registry 6 years ago or so) very few people have requested a DS (in Ontario I mean). I *think* they went through the process and when they had appointments with the nurse they inquired and then definitely spoke to the surgeon about it at that appointment.  That surgeon will have to refer you to the Hamilton centre, specifically to Dr. Hong, for a DS consult.

My advice?  Give the registry folks a call and ask, can't hurt and may save a couple of steps. Also call Humber and ask about getting a referral not to a Humber surgeon, but specifically to Dr. Hong. Recently one of our ON forum peeps (Dawn) received a revision from RNY to DS with Dr. Hong (although due to medical issues, he was only able to do the first part (take down the RNY and do a sleeve) with the full DS to be scheduled).  You CAN get a DS, don't let others tell you that you can't (unless deemed medically unadvisable by Dr. Hong of course).

Post your question about DS on the Ontario forum and hopefully Dawn will see it or maybe even one of the old-timers who had a DS with Hong - you never know who's reading. ;)

If I can be of any assistance to you (research-wise, contacts, process, etc.) please let me know, I'm happy to help. FYI, there is a self-pay option if you are willing to go to Quebec - Dr. Michael Gagner is there.

ALSO - a word of warning and it's ridiculous that I would have to even mention this -  If you post about wanting a DS on the Ontario forum, you may receive some negative feedback. Likely not publicly, but via PM from a couple of DS-haters who pose as caring vets but trust me, have an ignorant agenda. IGNORE. Again, I'm happy to help you out with THEM as well. ;)

P.S. I apologize for the italics. My laptop had a seizure. lol

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/15 10:45 am - Orillia, Canada
Thank you for all your help, I am going to call tomorrow to see what they say. (Humber) and also the registry. I wish I could do self pay because it would likely be a lot sooner that I would be getting the surgery. However unless I come into money that won't happen. People can be ridiculous! Let them message me and they will get an ear full!
Karen M.
on 3/2/15 6:44 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Meh. I wouldn't give them the time of day personally. A simple "thanks for sharing" and ignore often works best.

I'll be interested to hear what Humber or the registry has to say!

Karen

Karen

matha66
on 3/4/15 10:22 am - Montreal, Canada

Hi Kat, I had the DS this past Sept in Montreal by Dr Court. He is very selective in his process (those that are well informed on the DS and the necessary life long requirements), and for those whose BMI exceeds a particular number, he Sleeves them first and after a year or so, he will do the 2nd part of the surgery. I don't know how the DS surgeon's proceed in Ontario, just wanting you to be aware that some may not want to take the risk of doing a 1 step DS on someone with a BMI at your range.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 260 views