Food Questions

ldhajek
on 3/3/15 11:04 pm

I am 3 weeks post-op today and I have done really well. Next week I am able to start back on regular diet, but I am scared. What kind of things should I try first ? I have done fine with all liquids and soft foods and vitamins. Just don't want to be sick or eat the wrong things. Thanks for the help. 

PeteA
on 3/4/15 2:55 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I would still stick to things that aren't too dry. Dark chicken meat, lunch meat, meatloaf, some bacon, any kind of fish, chili ( I did Wendy's because I make too much when I make it ).  Leave steak and white meat for a little later unless you have some kind of sauce/gravy with it. I would wait a while before you try something dense like steak or a dry beef roast. Stew would be good.

Welcome back to food.....

Pete

ldhajek
on 3/4/15 9:35 am

Thank you I appreciate the feedback 

Valerie G.
on 3/4/15 11:33 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hopefully the server errors are fixed now so my answer will come over.

Start with the most tender and moist of meats (think crock pot) with gravy/sauce.  Veggies will be better accepted overcooked and swimming in butter.  Stick with meat/cheese/eggs/veggies for now.

I've also heard that shrimp is a great early post op food.  Tuna and chicken salad, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Shawnern
on 3/5/15 12:02 am - Rochester, MN

I'm about 3 and half months out and crab legs, shrimp, smoked oysters and fish is what worked best for me. Dark meat chicken was okay but like others said the white meat just doesn't work. Beef brisket has become another staple for me. It is soft when done right. Chili is okay but some had so much fat that it gave me oil slicks. Good luck and remember to chew, chew and chew again

Shawn

Brandy G.
on 3/5/15 8:51 am
DS on 08/20/14

I think the worst thing about months 2 through 4 (and still a little now for me at 6 mo) is that there were not a lot of foods that are safe for me everyday.  I think the trick is to try very small amounts of lots of different foods and be ready to roll back to broths and Jell-O for a day when they don't work out.  Watermelon is a god send when I'm trying to recover after something *really* didn't work.  Remember -- HEALTH before diet.   I kept track of my calories during this phase because I had a tendency to eat less than 1,000 calories a day, and that isn't good.  Making myself eat enough was the biggest chore, but I tried to view it as an adventure.  Learning how to fuel the next phase of my life. 

Safest was almost any beef braised or slow-cooked.  We generally do not cook, so I found Chinese and Indian without the rice added some nice variety and flavors and was almost always safe.  Arby's without the bun was easy.  Red Robin Prime Rib Sandwich without the bun was generally an awesome treat.  Steak worked well for me right away, but eggs and chicken (dark and white) are just now tasting good to me. I add some fruit when my constipation last more than two days.  Veggies in butter and cheese are awesome when I start craving carbs. 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 2:48 pm

I'm 4 months out and I would suggest poached or sunnyside up eggs, Wendy's Chilli, Liverwurst, Shrimp with ****tail sauce, Poached Salmon. I could not tolerate Chicken or Turkey for the first 3 months, but I could eat Filet Mignon (4 oz) after about a month.

LadyDi9080
on 3/16/15 2:41 am - Tallahassee, FL

Crock pot foods with a lot of gravy. Tuna fish or egg salad made with a lot of mayo. Stews.

Going back to eating can be scary and there may be head games. I was used to using a big plate and seeing a lot of food. I liked seeing a full plate so I started using a smaller lunch plate. I would take a few bites and realize that I was full - then go back to it later. Sometimes, our heads can't imagine that we are satisfied after such a little serviing.  Just remember, after each bite to ask if that is "enough". It is amazing how little it takes.

Dianne 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 314 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 778 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views