DS and Body Odors

Mommydoo
on 4/15/15 9:49 am - OR

I met with my new surgeon on Monday and have planned to go forward with the DS when (if) insurance approves the revision (from VSG).  But the surgeon was also explaining a newer procedure that has the potential for less body odor because the common channel is longer.  My question is DSers - are you experiencing body odors, gas diarrhea etc. from tyh4 DS ?  Are they bad?  I have two preschoolers so we are active in group settings and I don't want to "clear a room" or be embarrassed. 

Between the DS and the DS Single-Anastomsis, which would you choose?  If it weren't for the odors, it would be a no brainer for me to choose the DS but I am a bit concerned but about odors now.  I know the Single Anastomsis has a bit lower weightloss so I really would prefer the DS.

Thank you,

Kimberly

Pianolover
on 4/15/15 10:11 am

I had the SA-DS. The gas is real for me...the farts are way more loud and smelly than I ever had before surgery. I don't know how mine compares to someone with a true DS, but don't think that the SA-DS won't give you gas issues just because the CC is twice as long. Most of my fartiness seems to mostly happen at night...so it isn't constant, but its definitely there! It's a trade-off that I'm willing to live with though. If I'm embarrassed in front of others, I go to another room or the bathroom, spray some febreeze if needed and the smell dissipates eventually.

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/15 10:36 am

I had the SA DS in Nov. I'm down close to 100 lbs and I don't think your views about less weight loss are correct.

The gas is an issue for the SA DS just like the older version. The real benefit is a lower risk surgery with the same weight loss benefits.

I agree with the prior post about the gas occurring mostly at night, not so much during the day.

airbender
on 4/15/15 2:08 pm
On April 15, 2015 at 4:49 PM Pacific Time, Mommydoo wrote:

I met with my new surgeon on Monday and have planned to go forward with the DS when (if) insurance approves the revision (from VSG).  But the surgeon was also explaining a newer procedure that has the potential for less body odor because the common channel is longer.  My question is DSers - are you experiencing body odors, gas diarrhea etc. from tyh4 DS ?  Are they bad?  I have two preschoolers so we are active in group settings and I don't want to "clear a room" or be embarrassed. 

Between the DS and the DS Single-Anastomsis, which would you choose?  If it weren't for the odors, it would be a no brainer for me to choose the DS but I am a bit concerned but about odors now.  I know the Single Anastomsis has a bit lower weightloss so I really would prefer the DS.

Thank you,

Kimberly

I am not sure what surgeon explained a newer procedure that has the potential for less body odor because the common channel is longer-that is completely wrong, if any surgeon did actually state that, you should head to the nearest exit door.  First there is NO common channel with SADI, it only has an alimentary limb, not two limbs as in DS.  you really have to think long and hard if you are picking a surgery type based on "odors" which are in most part caused by your consumption.  In both surgeries you are bypassing a large portion of the small bowel, in DS you get the fat malabsorption, in SADI you do NOT.  In DS you can selectively have % of malabsorption with alimentary and cchannel limbs custom, in SADI you can not since it is but one alimentary track.

We all have concern pre op about the dreaded bathroom issues, but you really do control most of it by what you eat.  diarrhea-stay away from simple carbs, gas same thing.  I take a good quality probiotic I hardly every have gas, and virtually never before 6pm.  now throw in some cake, pasta, etc....then watch out.

It is too early to say long term results of SADI, I dont believe SADI will replace DS, but replace RNY and VSG.  It is now 3+ year with SADI and now patients are headed to the revision surgeon to be revised to DS due to poor weight loss or weight regain.  Pick the surgery that is best for you at that point in your life, make sure you understand the surgery you are picking and your surgeon.  Good luck with your revision.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Mommydoo
on 4/15/15 11:53 pm - OR

You are wonderful!  Thank you thank you thank you!  I understand better and have made my final decision.   I watched tones of videos and info on Pinterest last night and with your explanation too, I feel more confident.  DS it is!!  Thank you!  Not just to wait for insurance. 

PattyL
on 4/15/15 3:53 pm

Does your surgeon do the DS, or just the SADI?  Will the Toyota dealership tell you about the Nissan, or just the Toyotas they have to sell?  Doctors are people too and always follow the money.  If they don't do the surgery you want, they WILL sell you the surgery they do.  By whatever means necessary.

Get the surgery you want and if that's the SADI, great.  If not, hold out for a true DS.  Don't let anyone sell you a load of BS.  Body odor...  What next?  Poop does not smell like roses.

The SADI is easier for the doctor and takes less skill.  Just so you know...

Mommydoo
on 4/15/15 11:50 pm - OR

He does both but now I am feeling nervous - is he streering me to the SADI because he isn't comfortable - he said he has done 3800 - since being a WL surgeon.  I don't know if that was just WLS in general or DS.  I will find out.  But at any rate, he does do both and I have heard from people on this website that love him. 

Pianolover
on 4/16/15 12:20 am

He has done around 3800 total, not just DS. He does both surgeries and offers SA-DS as an option for people who want malabsorption, but to a lesser degree than the traditional DS, thus a lower risk of vitamin/mineral deficiencies. But ultimately he leaves the decision of which surgery up to the patient and what they want in regards to their lifestyle and weight loss goals.

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

Mary_J
on 4/15/15 9:21 pm

Totally agree with Airbender and PattyL! And, FYI, I'm 7.5 years out and rarely have gas with my DS. Lies about the DS suck, but lies from a surgeon says so much about the surgeon, don't ya think?

SJb41976
on 4/15/15 11:33 pm
DS on 02/29/16

Why do these lies exist (well, that was answered above in that doctor's WILL sell you what they want). I'm considering a revision from my VSG to DS and the bathroom issues are my biggest concern. I mean, if we have emotional issues with food (as I do) and even though I have had treatment the past year and a half with an eating disorder therapist, I'm afraid my "deprivation feeling" will kick in and I will eat junk regardless of the consequences. What if I have a bite of cake? I find it easier to have a bite now and savor it and move on. Will one bite give me uncontrollable stinky gas? I attempt to stick to low carb/whole food/paleo right now but I don't stick to it consistently enough to get my metabolism moving (which i am convinced is SHOT). It's a vicious cycle I feel that I am in....not that I'm grazing like I used to, or binging, but I eat sugar in moderation. That won't help me lose weight.

Gah! I don't know. I just don't want horrible gas to affect my interpersonal relationships. Or like a previous post on the board posted, keep me from living my life by being afraid I'm going to have gas in front of friends and family so I don't go out socially. 

Help! Don't just ease my mind, tell me the TRUTH. What is it like living with the gas. Give me the real low down.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 326 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 262 views