Sleeve revision questions

camamx
on 5/7/16 7:18 am

Hi everyone, I just discovered this site and am glad to be here! I had the DS 14 years ago and have been very happy with it. I was 375 lbs and am now 220, being 5'8". I actually got down to 140 for a brief period, but my compulsive overeating got the best of me and I've been fluctuating between 190 and 230 for a few years. Still, despite frequent bingeing the DS has kept me from going way back up, so I'm not too upset. Or wasn't until I developed arthritis in my knee, and now at age 68 I'm about to have a knee replacement. I am interested in having a revision of my stomach only, to be done in Mexico next winter. I've searched here and found a thread that said there can be problems because of the staples. I'd appreciate any info or advice anyone has on the revision, and recommendations for surgeons. I'd get it done in the US if it's covered by Medicare, but I doubt that's the case. I'm going to post this in the Revisions forum too.

larra
on 5/7/16 8:58 am - bay area, CA

If you are considering Mexico, the most recommended DS surgeon there is Dr. Esquerra. I don't know whether or not he does re-sleeves. I also don't know whether or not Medicare would cover a re-sleeve as a form of revision. It's possible that it might - I would recommend that you get your hands on your EOC (Evidence of Coverage), a lengthy document that outlines exactly what criteria you would need to meet for a revision, and also what appeals rights you have, if any. I do know that the DS is covered by Medicare, but that isn't exactly the information you need at this point.

If you can get coverage in the USA, I would recommend dr. Ara Keshishian in Glendale (a suburb of Los Angeles) who accepts Medicare and does a lot of revision surgery.

Larra

camamx
on 5/7/16 4:57 pm

Dr K was my DS surgeon! I had to self-pay, which was the best investment I've ever made, but since I'm retired I can't do that again at US prices. I now live on the east coast, so I'll look into Medicare, but I'm moving to Mexico in a few months. I've read positive comments about Dr. Esquerra and wonder about other MX doctors as well. Thanks Larra!

Raven300
on 6/11/16 2:30 pm

HI Camamx! Did you decide to go ahead with the resleeve?  I was re-sleeved a month ago by original surgeon (6 years after the original DS).  I'd be happy to discuss re-sleeves and would love to hear other people's experience with it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 349 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 805 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views