dwdj75
on 5/16/16 10:30 pm

Just had the DS 4/29. Couple of questions ... Did anyone have an issue with the nerves that was cut during the procedure ? It has royally kicked my butt with the burning/pain sensations !

Also I have tried dozens of different types of protein shakes / drinks and have come to the complete conclusion that I hate them all. But to be fair I was never a fan of thick drinks to begin with !

I do very well with water, but anything thick is hard to drink and keep down !

Any feedback to help this would be great !!! LOL

MajorMom
on 5/17/16 2:19 am - VA

I think some folks do understand about the protein shakes. A few tricks to try: add some powder to pudding, yogurt, or make a protein shake coffee latte...if you can handle those. 

In a 20 oz blender bottle with wire ball add 6 oz of 1/2 or almond milk, etc. Add a scoop of vanilla protein powder and a dash of cinnamon. Cover and gently shake to mix. Add hot coffee to the protein slurry and gently stir. I like Syntrax Nectar vanilla protein...very easy to blend.

Some folks like the fruity protein powders and mix the powder into diet Snapple. You can always cut the Snapple with water. I went several years post-op drinking diet cranberry juice cut with water.

Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 5/17/16 10:38 am - bay area, CA

Burning and pain sensations are from acid sitting in your sleeve, not from nerves being cut. If you aren't already on a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) you should be. Either get a prescription from your surgeon or get one over the counter. Prilosec is readily available and can make a world of difference.

Re: protein drinks, forget it. You are very early out and your body has protein stores to tide you over the rough first few weeks. Focus on staying hydrated. If you can manage that much, you are doing great. If you feel you just have to drink a protein drink, try the Adkins stuff you buy in liquid form. More expensive, yes, but much easier to get down and keep down. The cheapest place to get them is usually Walmart.

Larra

dwdj75
on 5/17/16 2:46 pm

No, this is definitely nerves. It is numb and painful just grazing the skin. It's not so much inside.

larra
on 5/17/16 7:37 pm - bay area, CA

Sorry, I misunderstood. I didn't realize you meant the skin and not your insides. The nerves in the skin are trying to grow back together and they don't get it perfect. This should get better with time, but Idon'y know how much time.

Larra

PeteA
on 5/17/16 7:43 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

No help on the nerves part.

I found the Optimum Nutrition and the Syntrax Nectar made with water to be thinner than the pre-made shakes
and you can add extra water to thin it out. 

The first protein shake I tried post-op was pre-made and really thick. It came back up after about 10 minutes.
Probably a combination of too fast and too thick for my healing stomach but I didn't so anything thick for the 
next year or so.  :)

Pete

Tabitha85
on 5/28/16 7:56 am
DS on 11/13/13

I will second the Syntrax Nectars. I like them and it is what I drink. They are good. I make a coffee one with the cappuccino kind. The lemon tea is great too. Taste just like iced tea with a little "milk" taste. It is very thin, like tea. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 316 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 779 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views