Need recipe ideas

Lsmith3
on 6/24/16 4:10 pm
DS on 05/09/16

Hello, I'm new to this. I am 6 weeks post op with a DS. I am down 46 pounds since coming home from the hospital. I am having a horrible time getting fluids and protein in. Nothing tastes good and nothing sits well on my stomach. Anyone else having problems like this? Even water doesn't sit well. Please help with ideas. I had to switch to a patch vitamin because I couldn't keep the others down. 

PattyL
on 6/25/16 2:02 pm

There is a FB group for patch users and most found they don't work as well as they should.  So while a patch is better than nothing, it isn't nearly enough long term.

By the time you are 6 weeks out, you should be able to eat almost anything.  You should not have nausea all the time.  Are you on a PPI?  If not, try one.  You can just get some OTC Nexium or ask your doc for antinausea meds.  Have you discussed this problem with your surgeon?

Whenever what you are doing isn't working, change it.  Have you tried egg drop soup?  How about shrimp or crab?  Pintos and cheese from Taco Bell?  Have you tried gatorade or pedialite?  How about popsicles?  Or iced/hot tea?  Until you can eat and get the nausea under control, don't worry about carbs too much.  At this point, I would even try mashed potatoes.  Food is nice but first you have to worry about fluids.  Dehydration can cause nausea!

Are you trying to choke down some nasty protein supplement/shakes?  Those can cause nausea too.  And if what you are taking is labeled as a supplement it does not have the salts you need to live.  Think sodium, potassium, calcium etc.  Right now a meal replacement drink would be much better for you.

If I was in your shoes, right now I would have some gatorade, a snack size bag of chips, and a banana.  Good luck!

PeteA
on 6/27/16 11:20 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Hydration should be your highest preiority right now. Have you tried fluids at different temperatures. I did a lot of broth from boillion cubes early on along with warm tea. It all seemed to sit a little better than regular liquids.

Can you give us an idea of what kind lo liquid and protein consumption you are averaging. At 6 weeks I was just barely getting to 64 oz and still only 30 - 45 gms of protein per day.

Was it just the size of the tablets giving you a problem keeping them down or did that ahappen with capsules too. For calcium there are things like UpCal calcium citate powder that you can mix with yogurt or a drink to get down. Other capsules can be broken and the powder ingested without the capsule if necessary.

Hope this gets better for you,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Lsmith3
on 6/27/16 1:17 pm
DS on 05/09/16

Up until today I have only been tolerating 20 oz of fluid so far I've gotten 40 in today. I think it was just the capsul in general making me ill. I was also put on an antibiotic about a month ago and it made me very ill also. 

I'm at such a loss. I don't want to get sick and have dire complications. I'm beating myself up because I can't really get anything down. So far the only things that really stay down are mixing spark with water twice a day and Advocare protein shakes.  Luckily the spark is full of vitamins and minerals so that helps a lot along with my patch. I don't understand why I have back slid so much. The first week and a half I was doing great getting everything in then I got a tummy bug and have had to play catch up since. 

I'm in tears I have 3 boys I need to be here for and in other forums I have also asked for help from they have not been polite and told me I should just force it in or die  

PattyL
on 6/28/16 9:45 pm

If things are this bad, go see your surgeon!  Ask for help.  In the meantime quit doing what you are doing.  Something isn't working.  Change everything and go get gatorade or pedialyte.  Forget the shakes.  Just concentrate on getting down the fluids and forget everything else.  Once the fluids are good, work on food.

My best guess...it's the artificial sweeteners in the Advocare stuff.

islandgirl55
on 7/12/16 5:03 pm

Sounds like you may still have some swelling. I don't really know but I found warm went down smoother. I drank warm buillion or chicken broth/warm tea to get fluids in. It seemed to help. Plain water was not my favorite but I dran**** tea without sugar, Propel water and sugar free jello(maybe half at a time)

I'm about 5 1/2 months out and still struggle with an eating plan. I keep track and make sure I keep carbs low and protein high. Bacon is a daily food for me at present. 

Real life doesn't always work out for our unique diet. Having had many guests over the summer visit, I feel nervous about what I'm eating. Now that I am back to a normal week, I'm trying to eat "clean"  Whey protein coffee, protein shakes, daily scrambled eggs and bacon. 

I'm hoping that at my 6 month visit I can develop an eating plan that works with real life. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 308 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 774 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views