Anyone with a low BMI Revision with Dr Keshishian?

D. Scott
on 9/23/16 6:39 pm
RNY with

I am getting three hernias repaired in the near future (one umbilical hernia and one incisional hernia- very painful due to bowels moving in and out of the abdominal wall). Two of them will be repaired by a general surgeon however the hiatal hernia is being referred to a bariatric surgeon. I had sleeve done in 2011, had severe GERD from the very beginning, was not very successful with weight loss and have regained most of what I lost. I suspect it will be possible to revise during my repair to either be resleeved or to RNY. I would far prefer to revise to DS but worry I will not qualify based on my BMI being 38 with no traditional co-morbidities. I plan to request to meet with Dr Keshishian after my EGD if they will consider it, but I will happily pay cash for the consult if they will not refer me. I would just like to see if anyone has met with Dr K before and can say whether or not he is typically willing to do D on those with a lower BMI?

Thanks in advance

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/16 3:43 pm

I had a DS with a 39 BMI. Go to the lightweights forum and you'll find others.

Im not familiar with your surgeon however.

Mai23
on 9/24/16 8:24 pm, edited 9/26/16 10:35 am

I am having Dr. Kesheshian perform a partial Nissen fundoplixation due to GERD. People with sleeve don't have enough tissue for full fundoplixation. He was the only person I talked to who didn't insist on an RNY.  Which I really really don't want. Anyways, he would like to do the switch at the same time but even though my tubby butt definitely qualifies bmi wise, I may not have him do that for lifestyle reasons. (I am a vegetarian who travels to third world countries frequently). He's very easy to talk to and will answer your question very quickly. I imagine he will do it, considering your lack of success with the sleeve, but I'm not sure about it because you've developed a lot of hernias. In any case, video consults with him are 100$. And I'm not sure if your insurance will cover weight loss surgery because of lower bmi, so that may be a concern, not just if he will do it. 

Hope that helps. 

Ok, I'm editing this to ad: my bmi is lower than yours (I hadn't bothered calculating it before because given the weight I've gained in the past two years, fat is fat) and Dr.Kesheshian was willing to do a d.s on me, even though I may or may not to be willing to take him up on that. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 508 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 916 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 306 views