Duodenal switch revision vs. gastric bypass revision

RhondaJS
on 9/30/16 4:46 am

good morning everyone!  So I had my first appointments for my sleeve revision surgery with the dietician, psychologist and the nurse practitioner. They NP challenged my stance for having the ds, mostly because I'm a lightweight at a bmi of 36.6.  I'm sure I'm not the first person who has been challenged with this question- ds vs. gastric bypass. What points did you make clear for your surgeon as to why you needed the ds over another surgery?

thanks for your help!

Valerie G.
on 9/30/16 4:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are many lightweights that had a virgin DS at that BMI.  With a sleeve, you're halfway there already.  Why ruin a perfectly functioning stomach for all of the problems that come with a pouch and stoma?  Unless you're having GERD, I'd be pushing for the DS revision, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 9/30/16 9:55 am - bay area, CA

All this demonstrates for you is the ignorance of the NP. The DS is a standard of care bariatric surgery for anyone who medically qualifies for bariatric surgery, and NOT just for patients with a higher bmi. There is so much more to the decision of what operation to have than just bmi.

The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, and also for maintaining that weight loss and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. It allows for a more normal lifestyle in that you can eat a smaller but otherwise normal meal. There is almost no risk of dumping, which is NOT a weight loss tool, but rather a very unpleasant side effect that some people with gastric bypass get. With the DS you can safely take NSAIDs, one of the most comomonly used class of drugs. With gastric bypass they are contraindicated for the rest of your life.

So many people with gastric bypass go into the operation with high hopes and plenty of commitment, but find that after the initial period of rapid weight loss, the weight loss comes to a grinding halt and after that the struggle not to regain begins. Weight regain is a major problem with this operation.

Stick to your guns. If you are convinced that DS is what will work for you, don't let anyone, however well intentioned, talk you out of it. YOU are the one who will live with the results of this decison, not the NP.

Larra

RhondaJS
on 9/30/16 12:20 pm

You're the best!  Can you please come to my appointment with the surgeon in November?

larra
on 9/30/16 4:44 pm - bay area, CA

Well, I would if I could, but I'm about 3,000 miles away. Sorry!

Larra

PattyL
on 9/30/16 10:52 am

What Larra said!

The DS has the best results.  Period.

And you already have 1/2 the DS.  Why would you want something else?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views