Hello having a revision and getting the DS

ladydel99
on 10/19/16 11:49 am, edited 10/20/16 7:31 am
DS on 12/20/16

Hello,

Just received my date for the DS.  Just wanted to hear the good/bad and hopefully no ugly from people that has already had the surgery. any advice?

Thanks,

del

MajorMom
on 10/19/16 5:42 pm - VA

Best decision I've made for myself in years. I'm 9 years post-op and doing well. Learn all you can about vitamins, probiotics, protein, and hydration. Wishing you all the best. GOod luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

ladydel99
on 10/20/16 7:24 am
DS on 12/20/16

Thank you so much! I had the Lap band in 2008 and it wasn't successful.  My Doctors are recommending the DS for me.  Is the vitamins expensive?

Thanks,

della

Valerie G.
on 10/20/16 4:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm 11 years out and happy as a clam.

Don't let the gas and loose stool claims scare you.  Most is controlled about what you eat.  Nutritional health is the biggest challenge, because many of the medical professionals don't have good advice for us, so we share between each other.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ladydel99
on 10/20/16 7:30 am
DS on 12/20/16

Hello,

Thank you.  Yes it sounded a little concerning.  I have about 200+ pounds to loose, how much did you loose in the first year?  I eat pretty clean now, but due to my job(working extremely hours) and family responsibilities I really have to make sure I'm eating smaller meals and more frequently. 

DS was out 11 years ago?  I just recently heard about it 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for your response.

Del

larra
on 10/20/16 4:46 pm - bay area, CA

The DS has been done in the USA since 1988 and has been a standard of care bariatric surgery since 1991, so it's very well established. My surgery was over 10 years ago and I'm doing great. Yes we do need to take a lot of vitamins and emphasize protein, but you get into the swing of it and it becomes a daily habit, like brushing your teeth. So it's important, and it's a lifetime commitment, but it isn't difficult.

The DS has the best results of any bariatric surgery not just for percentage excess weight loss, but also for maintaining that weight loss. We see people with lap band and sleeve and gastric bypass all the time seeking revision because either they regained a significant amount of weight, or,  esp  with lap band, they never lost much weight in the first place. The DS also has the best rates for permanent resolution for almost all comorbidities.

Larra

ladydel99
on 10/21/16 7:16 am
DS on 12/20/16

Thank you so much for your reply!

del

PattyL
on 10/20/16 9:23 pm

You will need to learn to eat differently.  You will get to eat a lot more than you did with the crapband.  We eat high protein and high fat.  Low carb.

It's the best WLS out there and that's just a fact.  There is nothing you can get that has a better chance of losing the weight and keeping it off.  Now I am talking about the true DS.  Not the newer loop procedures that may or may not work as well long term.  No one knows yet.

I got the DS in 2003 and there's nothing out there I would trade it in for.

south2north
on 10/21/16 1:42 pm
DS on 11/19/14

I had the lap band in 2008, and FINALLY had it taken out and revised to a DS in 2014. It took me 23 months to lose 189 pounds and get to goal. Definitely the best decision I ever made! No regrets! This group provided so much information for me and literally guided me through the entire process.

Best wishes

ladydel99
on 11/19/16 6:26 pm
DS on 12/20/16

Thank you and Thanks for sharing your journey.

del

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 301 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 771 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 256 views