Honest opinions please :)

larra
on 3/22/17 5:56 pm - bay area, CA

I've lived with the DS for 11 years now. No regrets at all. I live a very normal life.

Vitamins and protein are not optional. But they are also not difficult. You develop a routine and it simply becomes part of your usual day, like brushing your teeth. You adjust supplements if needed based on lab results. I don't mean to make light of it because it really is important, and none of us is so special that this doesn't apply to us, but that doesn't mean it has to be difficult.

We are seeing more and more people with VSG revising to the DS all the time. It's becomming increasingly clear that VSG is just not sufficient for many people. So know that you are not alone, and that you didn't fail, the operation failed you.

Larra

Jwy
on 3/28/17 5:03 pm

I am not sure that this is the right place to ask but several of you have mentioned vitamins. I had my revision in November and started taking vitamins about a month later. I bout the prepackaged one from vitalady. For the past 10 days I vomit when I try to take them. Not like a little queasy like can't stop it from coming out. I am at a loss for a solution bc I know that vitamins are so important. Any ideas?

PeteA
on 4/7/17 6:42 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm confused. It's April and you started vitamins in December but are only seeing problems now? Is that right? Any changes to your vitamin routine? Maybe something else going on and not the vitamins themselves?

Pete

Danigirl58
on 3/22/17 6:14 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 06/19/13

Thanks everyone for the reply's.

OK so I have a gross TMI type question for you all. How are you with the bathroom department or gas? Do you experience a lot of smelly gas. I can't remember where I read it but I remember reading people say that that area was pretty horrible and people cant really control (hold in) gas. I know odd questions but thought that I would ask.

Janet P.
on 3/23/17 5:30 am

Gas smells for everyone. Yes, with the DS it can be a little worse, but there are ways to control it. Carbs (sugar) are the main cause of gas so you learn how your body reacts to carbs and eat accordingly. I also use a product called Devrom. It helps control the odor (but not the gas itself). It works for me.

I had my DS 14 years ago and wouldn't change a thing. Protein and vitamins are non-negotiable. You have to be able to commit to a lifetime of vitamin taken, monitoring your protein intake, and get labs done regularly (I get labs done once a year).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 3/23/17 11:42 am

I don't think there is much doubt that DS poop and gas smell bad. Mostly it's controlled by diet.

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/23/17 7:29 pm
If you are not going to take vitamins do not get the RNY or the DS.

If you do not have GERD now and get "switched"you likely won't get GERD. The switch bypasses most of your small intestines...it won't change the VSG that you already have unless they "resleeve you" (which is rare, and usually not advised)

Scott
valerina9
on 3/24/17 8:16 am

I am nearly 11 years post op and read all of the previous posts and totally agree with everyone. The one thing that I've found strange is that only in the last month I have found that the gas has become exceedingly worse - and not too sure why as my eating habits haven't changed - almost as if after the 10 year hump, things began to change and the biggest challenge I have faced is not having a lot of answers because not enough is documents for BPD-DS patients. I would for sure do it again in a heartbeat knowing all that I know but it's challenging at times to find answers from doctors. I LOVE this forum and don't come here enough but when I do, I find answers - thank GOD.

mylittleblackdress
on 4/6/17 10:38 am - FL

I am almost 7 years post DS and wish I had done it 15 years earlier! As the others have said the poop and gas stink but the foods you eat manage that pretty well. I have become completely gluten intolerant in the past couple years but have learned to manage that just fine. My weight is stable at 130-132 lbs. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 352 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 806 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views