DDS revision after VSG

vixen01
on 5/10/17 4:50 pm
Hello, it's been about 6 years since surgery and I've gained about 40 pounds since my lowest weight. I'm considering doing the DDS and have been told that quite possibly the pouch may need reinforcements. I am very active so it really sucks gaining this weight. I'm afraid it would be a slippery slope. My question is, would this likely cause me to be too thin? I went to MBC and they advised (just preliminary conversation) that maybe the malabsorption would be enough. However I was terrified that I could become unhealthy in a bad way if I don't take a laundry list of supplements.

I'm just looking for some helpful input. Please.
  SW: 245  GW: 150  CW: 142 

th_LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg        
PattyL
on 5/10/17 8:08 pm

I take a laundry list of supplements. I think most of us do. TOO thin rarely happens. I try really hard to find too thin but I can't even come close. Also most of us are pretty healthy.

And the body always tries to get back to fat no matter what surgery you have. Malabsorbtion works a whole lot better than just another diet with a smaller stomach. You will love eating like a DSer. Hi protein, hi fat, and low carb.

vixen01
on 5/11/17 5:28 am
Ok thank you. It does help to hear that. I got to 132 and my family and friends treated me awful. Now at a higher weight I'm so uncomfortable. I guess we have to make ourselves happy too. I'm very nervous and excited to do this. With my VSG there was no pain post op but is there a lot of pain with DDS? I have a few bike rides scheduled so I'm hoping I can have surgery and recover so I can resume some things I really enjoy!

PattyL
on 5/11/17 8:27 am

Actually you already have the worst part of the DS done, the stomach.

Don't schedule too much too soon. The challenge of the switch is learning your new body and how it works. If you have diarrhea, treat it. Imodium is your friend.

I had the whole thing done at one time and it was an open surgery. I was uncomfortable but not really in pain. I had a pain pump in the hospital and I hated it. Couldn't get any sleep because I had to constantly wake up to hit the button. When I got home with oral meds I did much better.

I started walking at 6 days postop. Slowly and only a mile at a time. In a couple weeks I was doing 5 miles a day. Usually postop all they want you to do for several weeks is walk. It's at least 6 weeks before they recommend actually working out. Longer before they want you lifting anything. Follow this advice. You don't want to get a hernia and have another surgery.

vixen01
on 5/16/17 5:08 pm
I know you said the worst part is over but I'm really confused on the diet. Some people say a high fat high protein and low carbs. Then the post op food guide the doctor sent said low fat low carb and high protein. I just really need to hear a typical day with this procedure. I'm fine with moderation but absolute restriction would kill me.

Janet P.
on 5/11/17 9:55 am
On May 11, 2017 at 12:28 PM Pacific Time, vixen01 wrote:
Ok thank you. It does help to hear that. I got to 132 and my family and friends treated me awful. Now at a higher weight I'm so uncomfortable. I guess we have to make ourselves happy too. I'm very nervous and excited to do this. With my VSG there was no pain post op but is there a lot of pain with DDS? I have a few bike rides scheduled so I'm hoping I can have surgery and recover so I can resume some things I really enjoy!

DDS is a dentist. The surgery is a DS (duodenal switch). The switch is major surgery and it will take time to get comfortable with your new insides (could be a few months).

I take large amounts of supplements. I don't absorb oral iron, so I have to commit to iron infusions every few years. I take calcium (12 per day), Vit A, D, E, K1, K2, a multi-vitamin, and a few others. Probably 30 pills per day (over the course of the day). I eat high protein/high fat. Carbs are what helps you gain/lose/maintain your weight. Once you get to goal (or close) you start introducing more carbs, because carbs turn into sugar, and we absorb sugar 100%.

I have also developed osteoporosis. Part may be genetics and age, but when I had my DS my baseline bone scan was normal and approximately 10 years later I have osteoporosis. I've had several reclast infusions but they didn't seem to help. Just part of the malabsorption.

Good luck with your research.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

vixen01
on 5/14/17 3:32 am
Thank you for sharing your story. It doesn't sound like things have been easy for you. It always seems like a trade odd to get one thing you give up something else.

Hoping things may get better for you. I'll definitely need to examine long term affects as well.

Janet P.
on 5/17/17 8:39 am

It actually has been pretty easy for me. I'm thrilled with my initial weight loss and the fact that I've maintained that loss for 13 years. Considering all my pre-op co-morbidities are gone (HBP and sleep apnea) and what my health condition would have been had I not had the surgery (I'm sure I'd be a Type 2 Diabetic at the very least if not dead from the sleep apnea), I'll take my current situation any day of the week.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

ALighterMe 1.
on 5/11/17 1:18 pm

What is your current weight?

vixen01
on 5/14/17 3:27 am
I am 176.

Most Active