DS Postop question

Gavin B.
on 5/25/17 6:25 am - Orlando, FL

Hello. I had an open RNY back in 2007 and the pain was awful. I am converting that RNY into a DS and my surgeon is also going to repair a ventral hernia. He is doing this laparoscopically. I am aware it is a complicated procedure but I am wondering if I will feel as awful as I did when I had my RNY. I know is done laparoscopically but there will be a lot of work done on the inside.

NoreenRT
on 5/25/17 5:16 pm - Warner Robins, GA

Everyone is different and handles pain accordingly.

I was surprised in 2008 when I had my very own laparoscopic DS how little pain there was. Three days after surgery I was off the big pain killers and a only took 1 Tylenol PM to sleep.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

PeteA
on 5/26/17 11:29 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Generally you should have less pain with the lap procedure. I had a lap DS. I liberally used the pain meds for the 3 days before I went home but was still able to walk around. First day was the worst but by the time I went home I was on a half dose of pain meds and off within a week after I got home.

It felt like I pulled a stomch muscle for 4 or 5 weeks but nothing I needed pain meds for.

Everyone is different but I think you will be better off this time.

Pete

Valerie G.
on 5/28/17 11:44 am, edited 5/28/17 4:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would expect a similar level of pain as you recall with your RNY. Even though it's lap, they will be literally taking down your RNY before they perform the DS. It's complicated, and while your wounds will be small on the outside, there will be much going on underneath your skin, so give yourself the gift of time and opportunity for a proper recovery.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 5/30/17 7:19 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Interesting question because I always assumed that because there are fewer nerves (I think) internally more pain would come from the incision and drains then the actual internal cutting.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 322 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 260 views