Potassium

Crazeru
on 6/15/17 5:02 pm

I've been taking K-Tab10 and now the ClorTab20 as a prescription since early out from my DS. The K-Tab10 is time-released and didn't keep my potassium up after 6 years. We switched to the ClorTab20 and I still have problems. Tried a test of 3-20's for 3 days straight and I went from 3.1 to 3.3. I bumped up the amount of Potassium with a mixture of 10s & 20s retested and was back to 3.2. Low end is 3.5. I've started taking 2-K-Tab10 around 6pm, then before bed, 2-ClorTab20 and will retest when my PCP reorders. I also eat bananas, but the prescriptions have more.

I am fighting a little water weight gain from the ClorTabs (lots of salt), but can handle that. For 9 years, I've mostly been able to stay between 3.5-3.8 highest, sometimes dropping back to 3.2. Now, I'm really struggling to get up to low.

Anyone else have problems with not absorbing Potassium?

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/15/17 8:24 pm
No, but I eat 2 bananas a day.

Scott
MajorMom
on 6/16/17 2:02 am - VA

Have you tried adding capsules that are not time-released? You might have to take them throughout the day rather than the large dose once or twice a day.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Crazeru
on 6/16/17 2:12 pm

I have Gina... I went from the K-Tab10 (750mg) (coated for time-release), to the Klor20 (1500mg), which I cut in 1/2 and do both. Very salty. Trying to get in 4500mg daily, by spacing it out away from my diuretic. I have been taking a diuretic for 35+ yrs or I retain water. In 2 days, I can retain between 8-10lbs of fluid. Basically, I'm taking Potassium Chloride (a salt), then have to remove said fluid.

My other option is to mix the packet potassium into juice. That's next to try. It's also a bit on the pricey side. 400 K20 and 200 K10 $250, 3 yrs ago 100 packets were $100. I don't mind paying, just wished it would work!

Scott - 4 bananas = 2-K10 or 1-K20.

I've also read that magnesium helps, but mine is already on the high side w/o supplementing. I know that my iron is dropping and I don't know if that's related to the potassium not coming up. Can't find anything that relates the two.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

MajorMom
on 6/17/17 2:35 am - VA

Sounds like you're do everything you can. I know my dietitian said if I have trouble with one vitamin or mineral to take it away from everything else and space it out like medicine....you're doing that. I'm guessing the juice you might be planning is low sodium V8 since it's high in potassium too.

Are you getting about 120 grams of protein a day? If protein is running a little low it could change how well your body is absorbing and delivering vitamins and minerals to your body.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

airbender
on 6/16/17 1:12 pm

i was on clor kon for a while, the last few years I switched to K citrate 10meq 2pills -3xs a day, this also helps with enteric hyperoxaluria, we DSers have. I also eat 2 bananas a day

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

dogma2karma
on 6/19/17 5:08 pm - Suburbia, CA

I had one very low potassium event at about 5 years out. I started having chest pain and thought I was having a heart attack - went to the er. It was low potassium causing my heart rate to be very, very low. the ER doc had me take a liquid potassium RX (like a nasty, salty, thick Jaegermeister shot) once while in the ER and once about one week later then retested my potassium - it was normal. I added one potassium citrate in my evening batch of supplements and potassium labs have been normal since. I don't have the K-Cit dose on the top of my head but I can check for you if that would help - but I think you actually are already know more than I do. I seem to recall that the bloods ability to use K (potassium) can be adversely affected by dehydration and blood calcium. As contrary as it feels when you're experience water weight gain, drinking the right amount of water is still important. Keeping hydrated and keeping your calcium up may help with effective potassium absorption. The nasty Rx potassium may help if you think a quick bump would help, especially if you are feeling any chest or other muscle aches or otherwise unexplained fatigue. if you do end up trying the potassium syrup, I recommend holding your nose and pumping your self up to get it all down in one fast shot - this is not an item that can be sipped

259.5/227.5/122/118
8.5 months post DSNormal BMI, woohoo!
Crazeru
on 6/19/17 5:26 pm

I totally understand. When the KTab10 quit working, my PCP ordered the powder packets. First time I mixed it with water, and drank (well after gagging and drinking a couple of cups of water), pure salt. I have just started using tiny amounts of salt, but didn't use any extra salt since the mid-70s. When I had an urge for french fries, knew that I was lacking salt. Now, I mix it in 1/4c or less of juice, let it mix well and chug, and follow up with another 1/4 or more of juice. I'm hoping that maybe the whole combination of taking KTab10s, 20s and the powder will bring it up enough to cut back.

I always drink between 64-100 oz of water if not more. My water bottle goes everywhere with me. Just with the extra potassium, I've been drinking more. I need to take the diuretic or I suffer. So I'm trying to space it all out. Diuretic in the am, and all the potassium after 6pm until midnight or so.

Waiting for my PCP to order another lab so I can see if 4500-6000mEq is working.

Years ago a co-worker's hubby thought he had a heart attack skiing in Colorado, ER found low Potassium. Always stayed in my brain. I'll investigate the syrup... I'm up for anything that works at this point.

Chris
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 320 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views