Female question

megange1
on 9/21/17 3:41 pm

Hi,

So, first I have to say thank you so much to everyone for all the advice. I'm finally starting to feel better and have stopped throwing up daily! This forum literally got me through the roughest times after surgery.

Now to my new question. I've lost about 58lbs, but my period has stopped since surgery about 3 months ago. My husband and I did this, so I'd be healthy enough to have a child with him. Has anyone else experienced this and is it normal? If so, when did your period return? I'm trying not to overthink it, but just wanted some peace of mind.

airbender
on 9/21/17 7:06 pm

your period stops after surgery for a variety of reasons. surgery is traumatic, you are going through a big change with rapid weight loss. it is not uncommon for this to happen, it did to me. give your body time to adjust, but follow up with your surgeon, pcp and ob/gyn, this way you will get some peace.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Donna L.
on 9/22/17 8:54 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I am glad you are feeling better:) I would actually check with your doctor to be sure. Many things can mess with the menstrual cycle, and it may be weight loss related, but no one can say on the internet. So I guess to answer your question, maybe? Probably? Still get it checked out. Everyone's body responds very differently to rapid weight loss.

And, post-WLS weight loss is definitely tied to hormonal changes. During rapid weight loss we release many hormones when we burn fat. Fat/adipose tissue actually stores estrogens and xenoestrogens (which are estrogen-like substances). That's a big reason why female fertility is actually fat dependent to a degree; too much or too little and we have issues conceiving.

I had the opposite issue...I was absolutely flooded with estrogen and had hideous periods from beyond hell and also mood swings. I have never had mood swings before. I dropped a cottonball one morning and began to bawl inconsolably. In a weird way I am grateful, because it gave me a perspective on such things that I never had before.

At any rate, the gynecologist said I was basically experiencing severe pregnancy mood swings without the pregnancy. This 100% confirmed that I will be a total wuss if I ever get pregnant and I fully admit it. I wound up having to take progesterone to even it out because they were so bad I could not function. It was frightening how fast it resolved - literally overnight after I started the progesterone.

This makes me wonder about how often female health issues get shrugged off, or antidepressants just get prescribed without further probing, when we have serious issues or imbalances going on.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Janet P.
on 9/25/17 9:31 am

What you are experiencing is fairly common but you should talk to your OB/GYN for peace of mind. When I had my DS (I was 45) I didn't have a period for almost a year, but then it came back just as it was before my DS.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

megange1
on 10/6/17 3:42 pm

Happy news! All is well and things have returned to normal after 4 months.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 308 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 774 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views