How can I gain weight?

DEJanieT
on 10/2/23 6:02 am - Wilmington, DE

Hi, all. I had my DS surgery 19 years ago yesterday. I originally lost about 145 pounds then regained 30. Over the last year, I took off the 30. Then my gall bladder went haywire and I had it removed. I could barely eat for 8 weeks and took off another 15 pounds. I am now entirely too thin and am unhealthy. I never in my life thought I would have that issue! I am doing strength training and pounding protein like crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to intentionally gain weight, preferably muscle mass and not fat? Thanks!

White Dove
on 10/3/23 1:16 am - Warren, OH

People here are looking to lose weight. You need to find a personal trainer who can advise you on what exercises to do and what to eat to gain muscle.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Jmm4321
on 10/4/23 9:21 pm

It will balance out over time. I was 135lbs as a 6'1 male, who previously weighed almost 300lbs. Eventually, after your body has time to adjust to the missing gall bladder and some new routines, you will level off.

Janet P.
on 10/6/23 3:29 am

I'm just over 20 years from my DS and I'm facing the same issues. I retired a couple of years ago and now that I've got a different routine I'm just simply not eating enough/can't eat enough. I'm also traveling more, which takes me out of my normal routines (grazing mostly). I actually talked to my surgeon yesterday about options. I've always eaten alot of protein so for me I need to eat more carbs, which of course cause bloating, etc.

I'm going to try digestive enzymes for a while to see if that helps. I'm also going to try to get back into the gym like you said to start rebuilding muscle mass.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

AA
on 10/7/23 9:37 am - New York, NY

I had about 6 mos after my gb was removed where I lost weight as my plumbing was kind of rerouting itself. After that, things went back to normal.

18.5 years out.

Duodenal Switch/Lap -- Drs. Alfons Pomp & Michel Gagner - New York City

4/4/05: 265 lbs/BMI: 45.6

4/11/05: 256 lbs/BMI: 43.9 (date of surgery)

7/27/08: Gallbladder Removed

mike_ms
on 11/13/23 11:06 pm

Gaining weight in a healthy way can be tricky, but it's great that you're focused on muscle mass. I'd recommend working with a nutritionist or a dietitian who specializes in post-DS surgery nutrition. They can create a plan tailored to your needs.

read this FREE EBOOK about carb cycling and it helped me lose weight.

tonyadams
on 11/28/23 8:33 pm

You can aim to consume more calories than you're currently burning which will provide your body with the energy it needs to build new muscle tissue. pokedoku

Holdenwhat
on 12/27/23 9:32 pm

I recently lost about 40 pounds without trying and all my doctors freaked out (I had my DS in 2014). A dozens tests later and I'm healthy, and the weight loss stopped. But my point is that they prescribed me digestive enzymes to help absorb more of what I was eating and therefore stop the weight loss. I also added 3 protein shakes a day (90 grams of protein total) in addition to what I was eating. I've been stable for several months now.

DylanWalker
on 4/19/24 4:12 pm

I think it's will take time. After your body has had time to adapt to the absence of the gallbladder and some new routines, you will stabilize.

paper minecraft

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 792 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 265 views