Questions

Panja
on 6/30/11 3:49 pm - kingston, Canada
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions. To start I had gastric bypass Feb 2011! I am currently living in Canada.
My husband and I (kids too), will be moving to Orlando Florida in May 2012 and I wanted to get some advise about living in Florida. I used to live in Florida as a child, but never as an adult with my own family and that was years ago now.

How is the medical system, especially after having gastric bypass surgery?

Thank you
"Everything Happens for a reason"             www.kidzlifechildcare.vpweb.ca       
Grider
on 7/1/11 10:16 am - Clearwater, FL
I dont know about orlando, but  besides Fl .being a tourist state the next thing we offer is medical services. Thats all we have except oranges and Disney, etc, Insurance is good but all the laws are changing for medicaid etc,.. so good luck and wecome!
Panja
on 7/1/11 1:33 pm - kingston, Canada
So it would be possible for me to get private medical insurance at least for when we first arrive until I secure a job with insurance? How would you rate living in Florida overall?

Thank you
(deactivated member)
on 7/1/11 10:44 am

Hey Panja, It's a drastic step from Canada to Florida...
You are American, I presume? I guess the question of healthcare depends on if you have insurance? Will your husband have a job here..then you can find out details with the company. Short of that, unenployment here is high, so having a job lined up would be numero uno on my list.  There are many great hospitals in Orland with many brand new medical research facilities coming. My suggestion would be to research central florida websites, so you can get an idea of where you want to live..I live on the east coast, in the "bush" I am not a big fan of living in the city, If you are, Orlando pretty much has it all, except puplic transportation. (Not like NYC or even Miami). I do not know how old you are, but things have not changed much since I have been here (11 years).
Have you moved alot?
You will want to find a good school for your kids, but that's obvious, isn't it?
I can't really help you with info about Orlando, like I said, I am not a big fan of city living..But If I can help you let me know. maybe I'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Petra

Panja
on 7/1/11 1:31 pm - kingston, Canada
Hi Petra,

Thank you so much for the information. I am an American citizen and will be gettiing my degree in social work before we move, so I hope to land a social work position there. I am shocked to hear that there is such a high unemployment rate there. I was told to set up an insurance privately before we move until I find a job that will provide insurance and I would assume that social work careers would provide that?

How would you rate living in Florida generally? I am definatley scared because the difference between Canada and the US, but my husband would like to attend a University there for nursing. And of course my family on my dad's side lives all over Florida.

Thank you so much for your help!!!
Grider
on 7/1/11 9:54 pm - Clearwater, FL
I am from Miami originaly and I love my Miami, but live in Clearwater. I moved from Tampa because i found it dreary. lots of trees and no water. So i live 15 min from the beach and pass the causeway to go to work everyday so Im loving it, Tampa Bay is much cheaper than Miami, and through some heavy life issues I am here. I have a freind in Ontario- London area and seems Fl is much cheaper. I know my sis has priv ins and she pays about $400 a mo, With family in the area, hopefully you can get some support until you find those jobs. I dont know, but folks we know have come to USF for those nursing schools -thats in Tampa- guess they are all over. anyhow do lots n lots of research, and make sure you have an IN for your needs. Other than that Fla has HOT summers and  warm winters -Orlando is a busy place with all the park hoppers, so its an active community.  Bring your sunscreen!
Panja
on 7/2/11 1:58 am - kingston, Canada
Thank you so much! I got some quotes for insurance and that seems about right for a family. Expensive but I guess insurance is a must until i find that social work career. I am glad to hear you enjoy living in Fl. I haven't really heard anything otherwise, I like to ask others besides my family, just cause of course they want me back...lol

Thank you again. !! 
Grider
on 7/2/11 2:15 am - Clearwater, FL
Of course, right now houses are a dime a dozen, from so many foreclousures,  and im sure you will find the jobs, anything in the medical field or social work should be plentiful. Good luck!
ToniLee
on 7/4/11 11:08 pm
Well I am a native Floridian.  I was raised on the east coast right by the space center.  I also lived in the Orlando area for 16 years.  We actually lived in Oviedo which is real close to the UCF campus.  Seminole county has the best rated schools in the area.  Car insurance is a lil cheaper than in Orange county (which is Orlando).  There are many small towns that are close that offer great shopping and schools.  The traffic here is pretty bad, everything is always under construction so the toll roads are necessary.  We have something called EPass which is a prepaid toll program.  Jobs are pretty tight but medical field is always booming with all of our retired folks.  Housing is reasonable and like already stated, many many foreclosures and short sales offer some great bargains.  Good Luck! Toni

HW 271/SW 255 RNY Jan.21 08 RNY Revision July 25th 2013
Plastics done 4/21/10 (Dr. Sauceda)
Extended TT, Full Arm lift, BL/BA, Long Thigh lift

Panja
on 7/4/11 11:30 pm - kingston, Canada
Thank you Toni
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 295 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1341 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1340 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1484 views