Post op questions please answer

gbowl83
on 10/20/11 8:52 am
I am having surgery on the 10th of November and I am curious to know what some of the other people that have had open RNY 's experiences were. What types of complications or regrets that you guys have had? I am nervous! I am having it with Dr. Hoddinotts office.
Donna R.
on 10/22/11 7:28 am - Ocala, FL
I had my surgery in Ocala by Dr. Jawad last August.  My surgery was textbook.  I had no complications.  As all bypass patient, we all have some initial regrets but they pass very quickly as the weight starts coming off.  I can honestly say that this has been the best thing I have ever done.  The one regret I do have is that I did not do it years ago!!!! 

My suggestion to you would be to attend Dr. hoddinotts support group and talk to some of his other patients and see what they have to say.

Dr. Jawad has s support group meeting once a month the 3rd Thurdays at 6 pm at West Marion Hospita.  The meeting is open to all bariatric patients regardless of the surgeon or the type of surgery. We have many attendees that come prior to surgery to listen and ask questions, it's very informative.

If you need a support person here in Ocala, you can friend me and I will give you my phone number.

Hope to hear from you soon, but if not good luck and we will be waiting for you on the losers bench!!!
Donna "Embrace the Journey"
AUGUST 18, 2010 "The First Day of the Rest (BEST) of my Life"

HW/SW/CW/GW  -  380/362/178/1??
gbowl83
on 10/22/11 11:01 am
That would be great! Thank you!! I am excited but so nervous. I have heard lots of great things about Dr. Hoddinott and about the RNY but it is surgery and once I got my approval I became excited and scared. So it is nice to hear from people who have had WLS and did well. I will friend request you. I did learn the hard way not to research it to much on the internet because there are a lot of really scary stories out there. Hoping to hear lots more good ones on here!
bluebelle
on 10/25/11 6:22 am
I had surgery on Sept 13 and I'm about 5 weeks out now and I've lost good weight but this is major surgery and everyone has different instances after surgery. All I can say is think long and hard about this, if you have to loose a bunch of weight like 200 or more pounds then yes this is probably a great way to help but when I started I weighed right after 250ish and they really don't mention that the first 3 weeks after surgery are considered the hell weeks. I'm not trying to scare you but I want people to make the decision based on the fact that these weeks after surgery are probably the hardest thing you'll do. If you have a husband or kids let them know to watch out lol. My husband was great and still is and I am blessed but a lot of people that had this surgery are either months or years out and they have lost their weight and the problems got better. I can honestly tell you that I'm still struggling but I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Just know that there will be some weeks after sugery that are really hard. But if you're a strong person and this is the only way for you to be healthy and have other health problems then you have to go with your gut. Good luck with your surgery and I hope you have a great recovery!
gbowl83
on 10/25/11 7:10 am
Thank you! It is nice to hear feedback from people who have been done the WLS road. I am around 260 Ibs but at 28 yrs old I already am on Cholesterol medicine, showing protein in my urine, reflux and high blood pressure. Even though I know it is best for me you read these horror stories on the regret forums and on other sites. It definitely scars you. It is nice to hear from people who are not having major complications. Can I ask who your surgeon was?
bluebelle
on 10/26/11 1:09 am
Personally I wouldn't actually recommend my surgeon, he really doesn't have the greatest bedside manner. I'm in Northern Florida, I'm not sure where you are but just do your homework and go with your gut. If you start to have doubts its not too late to push the time back, I was excited too because I couldn't wait to loose the weight but I'm telling you that if you have any doubts then take those into account, don't listen to others, listen to yourself. After you go through this you cannot take it back! You cannot reverse this, it's permanent. I'm not trying to disuade you from doing this because it has to be your decision a lone but I definitely am a good source to speak to considering I am only 5 weeks out.  A lot of these people had their surgery and are down to their goal weight. I am sure I will be much better in a couple more months but be prepared to not eat anything like you did before, be prepared to feel sick for more then just a week somtimes. I really have no way of telling you how to prepare. I was 251 starting and I'm 29 so I understand your story, luckily for me I didn't have any other medical issues. I was ready to go on the biggest loser if I didn't go throught this because theres got to be a way for me, someone who's been overweight most of their life to get to a normal weight. I have lost weight but dont get discouraged if after a few weeks the weight slows, or stops for a few days or up to a week, the body has to get used to the changes. I want to lose another 24 lbs just to get under the 200 mark. I hope this helps.
gbowl83
on 10/26/11 9:35 am
I am in Central Florida and I am having second thoughts not so much because of the changes but because of the risks of dieing in the OR, infections, hernias and pulmonary embulisims (probably spelled wrong). I feel comfortable with the decisions but the risks are nerve racking. Not to mention some people regret doing it and like you said it is not reversible. I would love if you would keep me posted on your post op journey. If you want to private message me thats fine. I just agree that you are a great source. You are my age and you are new to this also. It is just nice to have someone who knows what your going through. Were you scared about the risks prior to your surgery? Did you have second thoughts because of the risks?
sfnpalmharbor
on 11/27/11 12:42 am - FL
I had surgery March of this year. I did have the normal issues with some vomiting but most of which was self induced by eating to quickly or to much. I have no regrets. Sometime the former fat girl comes out and I get a little upset that I cannot eat certain things but the I overcome that and remember that is why I had the surgery to not eat those things. I am a little over 8 months post op and have lost 136lbs. The only advise I can give is do what the doc tell ya to do. Don't overeat, chew chew chew your food, take supplements and protein. I wish you luck.
 Sandy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 305 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1350 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1349 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1491 views