[SOLVED] University of Iowa Insurance & the DS =)

manditude
on 2/5/11 12:51 pm
This is for anyone who is a student or works for the University of Iowa and has SHIP or Grad Care, or an Iowan who wants the DS and good insurance. 

I had GradCare in 2010 with BCBS Wellmark. This is the standard plan at UI. It has great benefits and covers all WLS, including the DS and the VSG. The problem is, it requires that you see a surgeon in Iowa. There was no one in Iowa that did the DS, which is the surgery I wanted.

I switched my policy in August 2010 to the SHIP plan, which covers WLS and has out of network benefits. That meant I could see a surgeon out of network, like Dr. Anthone in Omaha, or others. (I eventually went to a surgeon in Georgia because I have family there.)

I got approved easily and within 4 days or so of the claim being submitted, and I am so grateful for that. Wellmark has treated me very well. I didn't need to diet pre-op, I just needed a history of vitals for the past 3 years and a BMI > 40 for the 3 years, and >50 for the DS. 

If anyone is trying to get their surgery approved and they have Wellmark SHIP and needs any advice or anything, just drop me a line anytime. I realize the Iowa board is pretty slow, but I figured I'd put this out there. 

-Mandi
DSFacts
5'1" HW: 360  SW: 337? CW: 132 GW: 130
DS: March 2011, Plastics: LBL+BLA: April 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics