Help!!

berryspirit
on 1/18/12 1:14 pm - KY
I am a 47 yo female and weigh 250-260 pounds, I have Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure, and I suffer from several migraine headaches a month.  I have been told that I need a spinal stimulator implanted in my spine and my knees are starting to really bother me.   I am considering WLS and I am so totally lost trying to figure out which surgery is better for me.  I am thinking about the RNY, but that is because I know 4 people personally and they are all thrilled with their decision.  I don't know anyone that has had the lapband or any of the other WLSs  I would love to hear from everyone about there personal experience, good or bad.  I don't even know what questions to ask.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Lisa
melissa H.
on 1/19/12 3:39 am - KY
I haven't had surgery yet. But i am in the process of doing my 6 months supervised diet that  my insurance is making me do. But anywhoo, i am going to do the RNY myself. After researching every type of surgery and my health problems i have found that there is greater sustained weightloss with the RNY. I have every problem you have except needing a spinal stimulator. Alot of the other surgeries end up having to be redone or another type of surgery done because the one they chose didn't help them much!! I haven't even went to my surgeons office yet but i got the packet of papers that start the process because i figured that i get every road block out of my way that way i have a smooth process. I don't know what insurance you have but i would check with them to seed if they pay for weightloss surgery and what do you need to qualify for it. I have medicare(Kentucky) and they don't require a 6 months supervised diet but the company that administers Kentucky Medicare(CGS) does require one. Where are you located at? I am in eastern Ky. Knott County. 
berryspirit
on 1/19/12 5:50 am - KY
Hi Melissa, I am in Louisville.  I have not checked with Anthem, but my daughter has anthem and she is getting ready to have Lapband surgery and Anthem will pay for it.  She doesn't have any other health problems, so I figure if Anthem will pay for one, they will pay for the other.  I like your idea of getting road blocks out of the way.  I believe that Anthem requires a 3 month supervised diet.  I will be calling them tomorrow to check and see what I need to do.  I am going to go talk to my GP as soon as I can get an appointment.   Good Luck on your journey to a new you!  I will be following as soon as I can get the approval ;).

Lisa
Lifebeauty
on 1/19/12 8:31 am
Lisa, first I congratulate you for trying to figure out what is best for you and your health.  I have the band and it is a good weight loss tool.  The type of surgery you select also depends on the type of eater you are.  Since I am a snacker my surgeon suggest the sleeve.  I promised him I would stop snacking so he said I would do ok with the band. 
Rny was not an option for me because I did not have any health issues except being overweight.  I didn't want to limit the absorbtion of vitamins.  That was my decision before talking to the doctor.  The band can be slow if you don't exercise and make yourself eat right.  At least it was for me.  Do your research and ask the physicians what would be best for your type of eating. Hopefully they do all types of surgery at the office you choose.
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

berryspirit
on 1/19/12 8:41 am - KY
Z,  Thank you for sharing your story with me.  I have not ruled out any of the different WLSs.  Like I said, I am just now getting started on my journey.  I am looking forward to learning about each and every type of surgery available and figuring which one is for me.  Would you mind if I contact you if I have other questions about the band surgery?  Thank you again.

Lisa
Vicki Browning
on 1/19/12 1:16 pm - IN
Lisa first and foremost if you have health insurance call your insurance carrier first to make sure that YOUR policy covers obesity weight loss surgery.  If you have the coverage most major insurance will pay for RNY or Lapband if you meet their criteria.  If your BMI is over 40 or more most if you have coverage only require 2 co morbidities and hypertension, and joint diease surely are 2 that would fall in the rim of the criteria.   Do your homework first and find out if you have coverage.  If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I have dealt with insurance companies for over 25 years.   Good luck
Bucketta
on 1/19/12 9:10 pm
 I can say from experience that I would not fool with the lapband.  It is good for those that don't have much to lose, but I had a BMI of 50 and Dr. Weiss did the band on me and then his ARNP punctured my port and I had to have it replaced, never lost more than 30 lbs and anyone that knows me knows how hard I tried.  I finally gave up on it and on Jan. 24, 2011 revised to RNY (gastric by-pass).  Have lost 80 lbs so far and couldn't be happier.  I can now wear some "normal" people clothes, but would still like to lose about 40 more lbs but my doctor says at least 30 lbs of mine is excess skin.  

Good luck on whatever you have but really pay attention to the number of people that are revising from Band to by-pass, but also remember there are people that have a band put over their by-pass, also there are people that have other troubles with by-pass, so none are fool proof but some are better than others.  

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

berryspirit
on 1/20/12 5:15 am - KY
Thank you Jacquline, I have noticed that a lot of people are having revision surgeries, so thank you for pointing that out.   But it looks like I don't have to worry about what surgery to choose at this juncture because my insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery for any reason.  Not medically necessary or anything.  So for now, my plans to have WLS are put on hold. 

Thank you all for sharing your stories with me and for answering my questions.  I have not given up, I will find a way, but for now...I am on hold.

dawn_needs_to_loos
e

on 1/22/12 10:24 pm - KY
 well I may be at this late but hell I always am..
lapband surgery is all about mind set. If you can change your eating habits then u can do it. Like Z said you have to exercise to get it off and keep it off. its a tool. mine has been a kick ass tool even at nine months pregnant. I have only gained thirty five pounds and the pregnancy has been a breeze after the first morning sickness issues. I was terrified of gaining weight but I know that my tool and I will loose it all as soon as I can concentrate on me.. I had surgery in 2007 and my lowest was 173 in may of this year when i got pregnant I was at 183..
 its all in how u want to live your life and how u surround yourself with a great support staff.. the staff at the weight loss center kicks ass and having a supportive doctor is a must..
  Good luck with whichever you decide! I made the best decision for me and I love my band-aide
   dawn ( nine months pregnant today! )

First 80.5 pounds lost with 3cc's in a 14 ccband now at 7cc's in 14cc band

Lifebeauty
on 1/23/12 7:25 am
Congrats Dawn  Hope all is going well for u the family and with the pregnancy.  As you can see I'm still working on this weight loss but I know without my band I would be out of control.  Happy to hear you have kept your weight under control and now you are in the final stretch.    What are you having and when is the baby due.  If you are looking for names Z is a good one for a boy or girl.  However I have 19 grandchildren and nobody has taken me up on the offer yet.  LOL
Wishing you well.  Keep in touch.  So glad you checked in. Take care,
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

Most Active
Recent Topics
ARH Hazard and Dr Kabir Mehta