Stomach fold skin irritation and odor ~ blech

monymony
on 5/10/10 10:47 pm
Hi Sue, if you are thinking at all about having surgery to remove the skin, start seeing your doctor and taking pictures to document the rash. Insurance will only pay for a tummy tuck IF you can prove medical necessity. The pictures and doctor visits  are needed to submit to your insurance company. Mona

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

dearmamacita
on 5/10/10 11:26 pm
Dear Sue,

I have had this problem also.  I was afraid that someone wouldn't develop the pictures, but explained it to the people that I needed pictures for insurance as it isn't pretty!!!  The doctor also wrote it up, and gave me medicine for a yeast infection.  Same medicine if a person has other yeast infections.  Cleared it up right away.   I now have it documented in case I decide to have it fixed.    Good Luck! 

Kay
Capricek
on 5/11/10 12:15 am - Riverdale, GA

I can already see that I may have this problem. I have a digital camera and printer at home so I'm starting to take the pics now and will print them when the time comes. I use aloe vera from GNC, it works great for the irritation under the breasts. I haven't had the problem with my stomach yet, but I've been using this antiseptic cleanser my doctor told me about. Its called Hibicleanse. Its pretty good. Also, I'm in agreement with the powder. Only use powder containing corn starch. Talc isn't good for you. Hope this helps.

Pre Surgery Weight: 265 

snatale
on 5/11/10 2:01 am
Desiten Creamy is the best treatment I have found!
Nikki C.
on 5/11/10 2:10 am - Gaithersburg, MD
I have suffered with this forever!!!  When I get a really bad bout of itchiness or redness I used a powder subscribed by my surgeon called

Nyamyc

Nystatin Topical Powder

It is for fungal infections which is generally what is causing the odor and itchiness.  You could also probably use other antifungal powders, however when I know it's yeast I don't use anything else as I have found it will exacurbate the infection.

On a daily basis as long as there is not redness or itching,  I do use deoderant (solid anti perspirant - the stuff that goes on clear)  and it does seem to keep things dry. 

I hope you can find some relief and hopefully in the future get the skin removed to prevent further irritation! 

Good luck.

FlabToFab
on 5/11/10 4:11 am - Chino Hills, CA
On a side note... One of my friends had RNY and lost so much weight, she had a lot of excess skin on her abdomen which always got yeast infections.  It got so bad that it was emitting a rotten odor, and she always had open sores.  OTC creams did nothing for her and it was a constant, painful problem.

Her insurance ended up covering her plastic surgery/excess skin removal, because at that point, it was no longer considered "cosmetic."  You may want to look into it if you think that's something you'd ever think about!
Mandy- 6.5cc (10cc band) 
87 Pounds To Go!  304/257/170
Lisa O.
on 5/11/10 4:39 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I used to get that all the time until my PCP gave me the cure.  But first, you should have your doctor document any outbreaks with photos in your medical record.  IF you ever want plastic surgery to remove extra skin you will want those outbreaks documented.  It's hard to get insurance to approve otherwise.

There is a liquid soap called Hibaclens.  You get it at the pharmacy in the antibiotic sprays, near band-aids and such.  It's in a turquise blue bottle.  Use it in the dark, damp places and it will totally stop the rashes and irritations.  It's expensive, (about $10 a bottle), but it works great!   I still use it 2x a week to keep those outbreaks at bay!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/10 9:20 am
Goldbond medicated powder, but also their talc free powder will work.  (I am allergic to talc.)  Older people often use simple cornstarch since it keeps the area dry and prevents irritation.

I don't think I would do deoderant, although some people can use deoderant on their feet to help control sweating.
rainbow_runner
on 5/11/10 9:27 am
Gold Bond Medicated powder works for me every time, and in very short order.
crafty2259
on 9/11/13 8:52 am - Porterville, CA

I have the same problem. I have a sore now that just started up. Make sure you are getting your protein in everyday. Baby powder doesn't work well. Go see your doctor and you may need some special cream for the problem.

Most Active