having lapband surgery

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/11 12:32 am - NY
Hi everyone,
I'm new to ths forum. I had Gastric Bypass 5yrs. ago and now I need to have Lapband surgery in 2 weeks I'm very nervous and afraid.  know if  your throwing up all the time ur band can slip if that happens. Gastric bypass  was no walk in the park and I know the pain I went thru,  

Can anyone give me any advice what to expect post-op/  what type of food  should shop for for the 2weeks post op bcause i remember just drinking protein shakes after the bypass.

Thank you
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/10/11 1:12 am - Mexico
On January 10, 2011 at 8:32 AM Pacific Time, sdophie1 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm new to ths forum. I had Gastric Bypass 5yrs. ago and now I need to have Lapband surgery in 2 weeks I'm very nervous and afraid.  know if  your throwing up all the time ur band can slip if that happens. Gastric bypass  was no walk in the park and I know the pain I went thru,  

Can anyone give me any advice what to expect post-op/  what type of food  should shop for for the 2weeks post op bcause i remember just drinking protein shakes after the bypass.

Thank you

That totally depends on what your doctor's post op diet is.  How did she suggest you advance foods?

BTW, are you aware of this?

wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/2010/03/announcements.html

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
steelerfan1
on 1/10/11 1:23 am
Hi there !!!

Welcome to the boards and to the lap band.

My gf had the same thing done gastric to lapband and she said compared to the gastric surgery the lapband was a piece of cake for her :o)

NO reason to be nervous this is actually a very simple surgery .  I was up and walking 15 min after I got back to my room and went home that night and my surgery wasn't even till 1 pm in the afternoon !!!!

I had no gas pains , and no incisions pains but there are girls that do go through that .  All I can say is what I did.  I got back to my room I started to walk right off the bat.  I would walk 20 min then I would go back to my room sip some water while sitting in the chair do not go back to bed !!! I would sit for 10 min and then up and at it again . I did this from 330 till about 7 pm that night till I got released.

When I got home I was sooo tired so I would sit about a hr or so then get up and walk about 10 min I was in bed early that night lol.

Get you a heating pad the girls say that help alot and Gas X but that is for intestinal gas and that is not what you will have so I don't know if that really works or not .

Walk , sip water , walk you will be fine.  I only took pain meds for 3 days and it was only a half of a tablet.  If it wasn't for hubby being so dang nervous I wouldn't have even taken them lol.

When you get home.  Have somebody help you sit down, get up , get into bed, get out of bed, off the potty.  Your upper tummy muscles will be sore.  Its not a sore that you have to run and get meds for it s more like a  sore of doing a million sit ups.  If you have somebody pulling you up you wont work them muscles to much then.   I did this for about 48 hrs after surgery.  After that I was up and around on mine it took me longer but I did it :o)

I slept in the lazy boy chair the first 72 hrs.  If you have any fur babies make sure you put a pillow over your tummy .  Mine likes to sleep with me when I'm sitting in it so make sure you use a pillow to protect your tummy :o)

Okay foods that really depends on your doc my friend.  Each doc on here has a totally different way you need to eat.  Some let people eat on here 3 days after surgery mine was alot more stricter on food and when I could eat so I could heal.

The first two weeks for me was nothing but liquids .  The first week was water, protein shake, crystal light

Second week I moved to full liquids.  Soups no chunks,  protein shakes, yogurt, pudding, Crystal light , jello anything that could be slurped through a straw is how she put it .

Third week I was on purees.  I was terrible at this stage. For the life of me I could not eat puree meat it made me gag lol.  so I ate alot of re fried beans, mashed tators , and soups that week lol.
that is when I had to start eating my three meals a day  one cup per meal .

Fourth week was soft foods.  I could eat anything by then no crunchy foods, and no steak . Eggs, I even ate a cheeseburger but that was later in the week. 
This is the stage  had to start no drinking 30 min before, during and after and one cup per meal.  1/2 cup of protein, 1/4 cup of veggies , and 1/4 cup of veggies or carbs my choice.

After that anything I wanted with in reason :o)

good luck and if you need anything just give a shout !!!

You can do this

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Most Active