Were you starving during your 2 weeks of protein shakes?

songbird5769
on 6/22/11 10:18 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 07/07/11
I start my 2 week weeks of protein shakes tomorrow. I can have 4 a day and broth,jello and clear liquids. Were you starving during those 2 weeks? I'm just wondering what to expect.

Cindy
Lapbandcindy
on 6/22/11 10:23 am
I am starving and it's only been two weeks of this and I have five more to go according to my surgeon! But with the days going it gets a bit better. I don't pass broth it's to greasy and it makes me want to barf LOL but Just keep focused a day at a time is all I do and it will pass fast. Good luck to you.
lewiefour
on 6/22/11 10:30 am
I thought I was starving.  I think it was more that what we could have lacked flavor.  The shakes do fill you up.  I only did it for a week and then moved on to yogurt and soup with no chunks.  I discovered Trader Joe's Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper soup.  It's been 7 weeks and I still have that for a meal several times a week.  It does get better.  Hang in there!

steelerfan1
on 6/22/11 12:37 pm
Cindy,

I was very hungry the first three or four days it was awful.   I am assuming you are talking about pre op ?

Then I got use to it.   If we are talking about pre op . I cheated and drank a glass of milk before bed. I just could not go to sleep with my tummy growling and the milk helped that cause .

You will be tired, and probably very very moody during those two weeks. It was hard because I have a 16 yr old son that still had to be fed and that was probably the hardest of all . Especially the night time meal .

Just hang in there it does get better even though it dont seem like it at the time :o)

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

songbird5769
on 6/22/11 12:55 pm
Yep it's pre op. My NUT said I can have a 5th protein shake if I'm really hungry. I'm hoping for the best. I'm also scared after looking at all the posters that say to get the sleeve instead because there are too many problems with the lapband. I don't want my stomach to get cut out, that's why I'm going with the band.
steelerfan1
on 6/22/11 1:14 pm
I can totally understand your fear and I was the same way. In fact the two weeks before my surgery I stayed off this website because its stressful enough getting ready to go into surgery and then to come on here and read all the problems that could happen or have people say other things to you. That is the last thing you want to hear.

Like my doc told me when I told him the same fears as you , just because one person has had problems with the band dont mean you will :o)

You could be just like me a very easy recovery,  I have not had a fill since my surgery back in Nov of 2010 . Or you could need a few fills nobody knows. I didn't know I would do as good as I am right now :o)

Just make sure you follow the post op instructions to a T that is the most important thing  right there !! Because that is when your stomach is healing and the band is getting itself in place .

You will be just fine . Like others have said and I have said on here no surgery is 100% risk free.  You could go in for any of the WLS and have problems.  It's a risk we take just to get healthy .

If you need help or anything just come on here or send me a PM I will help you as much as I can :o)

Good Luck on your Pre Op. It will be rough but you can do this

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Lisaizme
on 6/22/11 1:18 pm - TX
There are many of us who are doing well with the band.  For some reason the regular posters just aren't very vocal right now, probably because it's summer and we're out enjoying life instead of sitting at the computer.  :)

I know (internet wise) a few who've even had their original bands 10 years and are still doing well. 

Just go slow and easy with your fills and if you should ever get too tight, don't wait to get an unfill.  Learn all you can about good band maintenance and follow the guidelines as close as you possibly can and you will greatly minimize the chances of problems.

Yes, listening/reading the stories of those who've had problems are scary, but just let them serve to teach you what the signs of potential problems are.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Anne O.
on 6/23/11 9:47 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16
No, not really.  I was afraid I'd be starving, but I wasn't.  The hardest thing was not being able to chew.  After a few days I was craving something crunchy, or chewy.  And, really, I didn't miss the sugar, it was the fat I missed.  The protein in the shakes really does quell the hunger.  All in all, it wasn't all that bad.   That two weeks will go by pretty fast. 

Good luck! 

Anne 
314/252/175
pre-op/current/goal
5'6"

songbird5769
on 6/23/11 9:51 am
I just completed day one and I haven't been hungry. I hate the shakes though. Gag !
countrygirl1974
on 6/24/11 2:10 am - GA
Adjustable Gastric Band on 07/06/11
hey cindy, i am on my two week diet now for five days. i am not going to lie to you its hard but i have noticed after the third day its like my body knows  i am not trying to starve it , and it has gotten better.. i am doing whey protein choc. and i mix it with skim milk. i didnt like the vanille.lol  the diet snapple lemon flavor is great also.
Most Active