frustrated

Sabina B.
on 6/11/12 11:00 pm - MD
 I'm 12 days post-op (band) and my weight hasn't budged in a week.  Granted, during the two-week pre-op liquid diet it was falling fast, and also during the first few days after, so maybe I got used to it.  But I've barely started eating solid foods again!  In the last 7 days I've only gone over 1000 cals twice.  I know that's too little in the long run, but I'm having a hard time eating more than that at this point (still recovering from surgery).  Shouldn't my weight be dropping?  One week isn't long enough to develop the whole starvation-mode-slows-down-your-metabolism thing, so what's going on?

Those of you with experience, please tell me I'll keep losing!  :(

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

NanaB.
on 6/11/12 11:25 pm
Hold your horses grass hopper...you just had MAJOR surgery, your body is still healing and you are FULL OF FLUIDS and you are probably retaining water weight, you SHOULD NOT FOCUS ON LOSING WEIGHT NOW...IF YOU DO GREAT, but this time is reserved for your band to heal.

Many go through this same thing, this is where your will power and patience has to come in, also DO NOT BEG YOUR SURGEON FOR A FILL BEFORE 6-8 WEEKS post op, VERY IMPORTANT, you want your band to last a very long time and heal firmly to prepare you for fills, so now you should be more focused on healing and taking it easy than losing weight.

Remember the band does not work like the Sleeve or RNY those surgeries you will lose quickly upfront because they have tight restriction from the git-go...but IT DOES NOT LAST FOREVER...whereas if you wait until your band heals and follow your post op diet YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT and it may take you several months to get optimal restriction with your band, but as long as you follow the rules -- YOU WILL HAVE RESTRICTION FOREVER.

Your body is probably traumatized from the surgery and holding on to water weight you will eventually lose that weight plus a whole lot more, just make sure you follow your post op diet and exercise plan when your surgeon allow it and you can't go wrong.

Good luck
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

c_cubed
on 6/12/12 12:02 am
I know each patient is different and each surgeon is different,  but you're already eating solid foods and you're only 12 days post op?

If  you've consumed over 1000 calories twice in 7 days....I'm assuming that means you've been ingesting food within one week of being post-op. 

If your surgeon has told you to start eating, then OK, I guess, but if you're making this decision on your own, then NOT losing weight is the least of your problems.  You can hurt yourself by eating solid foods so soon.

Maybe you should consult your surgeon? 

Good luck with your journey :))
Sabina B.
on 6/12/12 12:24 am - MD
 Thank you NanaB, I knew all that, but I needed to hear it from someone else.  I am SO impatient!  I'm not TRYING to restrict calories, I just can't eat that much yet.  I'm just focusing on getting enough protein and water.  I can't help getting on the scale every morning because it's so exciting to see the numbers go down.  I should lay off the scale, huh?  Thank you thank you...I feel better already.  :)

c_cubed, don't worry, it's not like I'm scarfing down pizzas or anything.  :)  Last time I saw my surgeon (7 days post-op), he said I was doing so well, I could start eating things like scrambled eggs, white fish (tiny bites), and super overcooked vegetables.  I've been taking it slowly....last night I had my first mushy broccoli and it went well.  But most of my diet still consists of applesauce, cottage cheese, yogurt, and protein shakes.  Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it.  :)

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

c_cubed
on 6/12/12 12:49 am
Oh good!  In that case,  just give it time :) 

I'm trying to remember, but I think I only lost 11 lbs after surgery; and keep in mind, that I was on all liquids for the first 3 weeks post-op. 

I was also discouraged.  I thought for sure I would lose so much more that first 3 weeks, but it wasn't until I started to eat (mushy foods), the weight slowly and steadily started coming off.

It really is a slow process, but worth it!!
SueBee01
on 6/12/12 11:31 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
We are all different. I am a little over 4 mo post op and I have never eaten over 600 calories in a day. Follow your doctors orders. Mine has me only eating when hungry and not to worry about calories goal, but more on protein and balance of veggies, fruit and grains after protein.

Good luck, it will work. Let your body heal first.
 Sue

Most Active