New band Hungry

mercedes66693
on 8/14/12 2:12 pm
Hello everyone I just got my band on the 9th so we are on day six and for some reason today I am starving.  I was not able to eat much the past few days and yesterday I got sick I think from not eating and today no matter what I've drank the water had protein, yogurt, oatmeal and jello but I'm still starving anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Melissa
Bette B.
on 8/14/12 2:21 pm
 It's normal and very common. There probably isn't any fluid in your band, and won't be for a while. It's called "Bandster Hell." Just STICK TO YOUR POST-OP DIET and get in as many fluids as you can. That will help you feel fuller.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

mercedes66693
on 8/14/12 2:25 pm
Yes there is no fluid in my band you meant to tell me I'm still going to be hungry even with the band on I thought I'd at least be less hungry until my fill I don't like "Bandster Hell" that's not very nice
Bette B.
on 8/14/12 2:29 pm
 As you progress to more solid foods on the post-op diet, you should start feeling more full. Fluids/liquids and soft foods can go through the open band pretty easily.

This isn't the end of the world. GIve it a little time. Relax . . .  breathe . . . . 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

SueBee01
on 8/14/12 6:17 pm - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
Drink every moment you are awake. It also helps and gets you used to making sure you get a lot of fluids. You have to change the way you used to drink, not when you want to or when you feel thirsty - drink ALL the time!

You will make it through this!
 Sue

Iam_with_the_Band
on 8/14/12 9:31 pm
Stick to your post op diet.  Don't deviate from it.  You are allowing your stomach to heal and the band to set in the proper place.  Eat small frequent meals and try to include protein with each meal.  Drink 30 mins to 60 mins after each meal (however your doctor suggests) - this will pass.  Once you are able to eat regular food, you can eat as frequently as you are hungry, just much smaller portions and protein first.  Hang in there.  This is temporary.  Even if you do not find that "sweet spot" for a while, you can just eat the smaller more frequent meals as you are hungry.

Take it from me and those who have been there.  This too, shall pass.  It's a learning curve and it's learning how to work with what you have.  I haven't always had restriction, but I have learned how to work with it, so that I continue eating and do not stretch my tiny pouch.  Be patient!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

looking4hope
on 8/15/12 5:11 am
Hang in there. It should get better. Try to drink all the time and don't cheat on your post-op diet your stomach needs to heal. Getting sick will cause your stomach to swell. Did you throw up yeaterday? If so home many times? Are you on liquids for 2 weeks?
Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

mercedes66693
on 8/15/12 5:44 am
Thank you all for the words of encouragement or should I say most lol.  Doing better today still having some pain where the port was placed and hunger not to bad today.  I really appreciate all your support looking forward to sharing this journey with all ot you.  Any advice on chats or blogs or anything I should check out greatly appreciated

Thank you again
Melissa
minnie_cat
on 8/15/12 11:54 am
I remember the 2nd week of post op diet was hardest.  Hunger returns and I liquids are, well they are not food.  I went out for our games group weekly meeting and had to walk by restaurants and everything smelled fabulous. I cried on the way home.  Now I see, getting through those two weeks set me up to get through anything.  The 3 days of liquids after a fill are easy(ish).

The second week, I called the nurse begging for applesauce. She told me to try a protein shake with a banana.  That was a life saver and so was tomato soup.  A glass of milk helped too.  Good luck, you're almost to soft foods. I was never so happy to blend meatloaf!

grahamclan
on 8/15/12 7:10 pm
I will be making my first phone call tomorrow to see what I need to do to finally get the ball rolling. So excited and hope my insurance will approve!
Most Active