Hiatel Hernia Repair and New Lap BAnd

smiles1007
on 1/10/13 6:07 am - Somerset, NJ

Hi Everyone-

I was originally banded in 2006. I had a slipped band in 2009, it was repaired but not replaced. 

I have lost weight and was down at my best 80 pounds. Slowly through time, I had different issues with getting the proper restriction without being too tight. I was mantaining a 50 lb weight loss until a few months ago. 

I started noticing I could eat anything even though my band had 9 in it. After a few appointments, esophogram and endoscopy, it was determined I had a hiatel hernia and an esophageal ulcer. I asked the surgeon about updating my band to a more current one but he said if the band looks good he will leave it .

I had my surgery on Monday and the hernia was somewhat bigger then expected and very close to the band, so I had a hernia repair and I got a new band. 

So I am just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how their new band worked for them??  Will I see the same beginner results you do the first time? Will I lose again?  It's been a long week so any feedback is great appreciated.

Thanks,

V

CarolynJoisey
on 1/10/13 8:49 am

I also lost  around 80 did great for about 5 years without any fills. Now, something is broken, I have absolutely NO RESTRICTION at all. I have gained back all 80 and more... so depressing, I had to switch doctors, the surgeon wasted my time for the whole past year giving .25 fills when I told him, I knew it was empty. (and 80+ gained) I switched and the new doc, realized there was a problem on the first visit. BUT, he still didn't order the tests I need. I have the stupid 4cc band, absolutely No restriction, have weird pains to the right and/or to the left of my belly button and the past doc blew that off continually. Amazing how much more attentive they are during the seminars. Sorry, I know I didnt answer your question, you just got me thinking. I sure hope this new band works great for you!!!!

smiles1007
on 1/10/13 8:59 am - Somerset, NJ

I agree. Many times with this band it has been me insisting that I knew something was wrong. Insisting on esophograms and insisting on answers. It has been a frustrating process to say the least. I do know that if this one breaks or somethign goes wrong, its coming out and not going back in. So i am trying to be as hopeful as positive. Good Luck to you!!

CarolynJoisey
on 1/10/13 9:28 am

You too V!!   :)

ebonymc
on 1/10/13 11:37 am

Hey guys, I was banded 8-04-09.  I lost 47 lbs the first 6 months and that's it.  I never found that sweet spot. I was and am always hungry and could always eat whatever.  I've changed Dr.s and going in tomorrow for a swallow.  If everything is OK,  I will be starting over with a fill. I did gain 12 lbs back and do have a little fill left but no restriction at all. I dont think I ever did, just too tight and still no weight loss (strange). I hope everything goes well for all.  I'll try to keep in touch.

NanaB .
on 1/10/13 10:29 pm

I had the old 4cc lap band installed in 2005, turns out my first surgeon did not repair a hiatal hernia that I apparently had years before. I had GERD before I had the band. My new surgeon told me that it was hard to find, so he had to dig it out and repair it. He wanted to save my old 4cc band, but unfortunately, the older bands don't unbuckle easily without damaging the entire lap band system, so he had to replace it with new AP band.

I will be 2 months post op two days and I feel a whole lot better, no more burning or reflux issues. My biggest concern with my new band is that although I've only had 1 fill I believe he gave me 4cc on my fist fill and he mentioned that he prime all of his patients AP bands during installation with 5cc. Maybe I am not understanding him correctly, I will see him again on the 21st for my second fill, because if that is true, I have 9cc in my 10cc band and I feel hardly any restriction.

I think I am confused about how much he is putting in, but he told me not to worry about the amount just how I am feeling and he can go over way over the 10cc if he needs to, and he also told that it takes a lot more saline to fill the AP band than the older bands.

I am just happy to be feeling good, and I am very optimistic with my new band.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

fairy_kissez
on 1/12/13 10:41 am - Albuquerque, NM

I hate to burst your bubble but why would you lose the same amount of weight as you did in the beginning? New Band does not = different person. You can be in denial all you want but the odds that you will keep your band are very slim and the longer you leave it in the more damage it causes, damage that you cannot see in a upper GI. Damage on your cells, this thing is made of plastic and sillicone....NOT supposed to be there. I will pray for you Nana B even though you are in denial I still pray for you.

lapband in 2008 at 298lbs , lowest weight was 183lbs , Band almost killed me and removed in 2011. No revison because to much damage for revision.

Anti Lap-band advocate!

NanaB .
on 1/12/13 8:32 pm

If you are going to respond to my post PLEASE MAKE SENSE, I HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT YOU ARE SAYING....WHY ARE YOU ATTACKING PEOPLE HERE? IF YOU ARE HURTING AND LASHING OUT ....PLEASE GET HELP...OUTSIDE OF THIS BOARD.

IF MY NEW BAND DOES NOT WORK THAT IS OK...BUT WHY WOULD I GET IT REMOVED IF I FEEL GREAT? IF IT STARTS GIVING ME PROBLEMS IN A FEW YEARS I WILL SIMPLY GET IT REMOVED.

I DON'T WANT TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE TOO, I ONLY WANT TO LOSE  about 40 POUNDS...I WEAR A SIZE 14-16, AND IF I DON'T LOSE ANOTHER POUND I AM A-OK.....I JUST NEED MY BAND TO HELP WITH MY PORTIONS, I DON'T NEED THE SAME HELP I DID WHEN I WAS AS SIZE 26.

I am OK WITH THIS SIZE mail -- CHUNKY but healthy!

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/13 10:47 pm

What did it look like before it was photo shopped?  Those are some seriously skinny wine bottles!

fairy_kissez
on 1/13/13 5:15 am - Albuquerque, NM

Oh I am getting all the help I need....maybe you should too. Also what was the point of the pic? was that to upset me? I don't care how much weight someone loses still don't fix the ugly inside.

lapband in 2008 at 298lbs , lowest weight was 183lbs , Band almost killed me and removed in 2011. No revison because to much damage for revision.

Anti Lap-band advocate!

Most Active