Gaining weight back

dartymaria
on 1/28/15 5:16 pm - Ypsilanti, MI

I've had my band since 2006, 250 ( 156 to small) to 175.  I had an accident and have not been able to do a lot activitys in the pass two years. I am now up to 191 and scared to death of gaining my weight back.  My band has slipped and the doctor is trying to get approval to take the band out and replace it with the sleeve.  If the insurance company will not approve the sleeve the doctor will go in and fix my band. i have not been on this sight for many years but I remember this is where my road to successful weight loss started so I decided to reach out to those that know the struggle.  I  know i have to get back to eatting healthy.  So here I am!!!   

Kate -True Brit
on 1/28/15 9:06 pm, edited 1/28/15 9:07 pm - UK

I can't offer anything helpful as although I started very like you, in the same year, I have been luckier in my journey.

knowing nothing about the insurance system, it seems to me that if the doctor has to do the op anyway to fix it, going the whole hog and having the sleeve might not be that much of a stretch?? 

Best wishes 

edited to add Did you have a standard band? It says VBG on your post. Mine was a standard lapband. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

annie0039
on 1/29/15 8:04 am, edited 1/29/15 8:05 am

IMO I'd suggest that YOU check your insurance coverage to see WHAT exactly they will cover, Do NOT allow the Dr. to decide the fate of your Future WL.

Some ins. only allow 1 WLS per lifetime  If that is the case you may not be able to Fix or revise your band.

In My own personal experience My band slipped and caused Severe shoulder pain, and eventual a loss of range of motion in my left arm, reflux on water, gastritis, symptoms of Diverticulitis.

I wasn't able to go above 7cc in a 14 cc band without complications.

I'm not the only person, nor are you to have a slip with complications..But i chose to have my band removed and haven't revised. I did regain BUT not all of the weight i lost.

But with that being said, I would not tell anyone to Fix, or get a band. Not with all of the complications that have arisen since it's inception. Mainly because I truly believe that once complications arise they don't resolve

I Wish you LUCK in that your ins. allows for a revision to the sleeve because i believe you will be better off in the long run with your band removed.

But that of course is your choice

GOOD LUCK

Hislady
on 1/29/15 11:10 am - Vancouver, WA

Unfortunately once a band slips it is more inclined to slip again and again so I wouldn't waste your time and money on fixing it even if you can't revise. It is possible to remove band and not regain, it takes hard work and diligence but it can be done. While I never got to goal I had my band removed a year ago and I did gain 5 lbs back but I have managed to stay at this weight. For me it takes a super low carb diet to do it because I can't excersize because I have a lung disease. Diet plays a far bigger role in weight loss than excersize does so go back to basics and journal your food, protein first, veggies then carbs if still hungry but very few. This is how I do it anyway may not work for everyone but that's my program. I wish you the best but like the OP I can't recommend keeping a band.

lianna
on 2/3/15 10:41 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I have heard that once the band slips the chance of future slips or complications increases greatly.  Unfortunately, that is how it worked for me. I was banded in 0**** goal, and was a happy camper for years.  In 2010 my band slipped.  I did a total unfill and it repositioned itself.  Gradual refill and it slipped again.  After that even a total unfill didn't right it completely, and I spent 2 years of having total unfill, small fill, vomit slime, total unfill, repeat.  Finally I just gave up the misery and had it unfilled.  For the last 2-3 years it has been totally unfilled.

I basically had a band that didn't have any fluid or help with weight loss, or even help maintain it in my case.  It still caused all the issues a too tight band can cause.... I finally had it removed in Oct. and was hoping to have a revision to sleeve at that time.  He couldn't do a revision due to the amount of scar tissue.  My band removal took over 2 hours because there were so much adhesions and scar tissue.  I am going back in March for the Sleeve. 

I was very happy with my band while it was working.  I am also happy that I have decided to something that I feel will be permanent this time.  If I had any clue that my weight loss journey would lead to 3 separate surgeries I would have just bit the bullet and done RNY or Sleeve a decade ago LOL!  I hope that they can fix your band, I know several people that have recovered from a slip and been fine with the band afterwards.  If not, I hope you are able to revise to sleeve if that is your choice.  It is a tough situation to go so far in this and achieve successful weight loss and lose the tool that helped to achieve it.  Good Luck to you.

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

Most Active